Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #31 
BettaLover101

It shouldn't be poisoning the fish as I have been using these buckets for a while now and have never had any problems with them before. I think he was just a little shocked as he was perfectly fine in his tank before I put him in the bucket. I'll check on the two of them when I do my morning feeding soon.

Last edited by BettaLover101; 02-05-2011 at 08:23 AM.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #32 
BettaLover101

I checked on my pair in the bucket and it looks like the male has started to work on his bubble nest. He still isn't giving a lot of attention to the female but he is swimming around now. He doesn't seem very intent on breeding but I'll see how today goes for them.

Would it be helpful to put an air stone, on low power, into the bucket to try and encourage the male to move and blow bubbles or should I just leave them?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #33 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Air stones would add oxy concentration but he will have a hard time making a bubble nest because they would quickly pop. And a lethargic betta shouldn't be forced to move as it may cause more stress. But if you think more oxy can help him, put an air stone in until he gets better.

I would still remove the female for now because at the moment the male isn't aggressive thus the female is gaining more ..... courage (?) thus may want to fight more than spawn.

Glad it's not poisoning.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #34 
BettaLover101

Ok I've removed the female and in a day or two, depending on how my male is looking, I will put a different female in the cylinder to see if he has perked up. If not, I have another male that is definitely ready to breed so maybe I will try him out.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #35 
BettaLover101

I think that the male doesn't like the female because I went to check on him and he has really perked up now and is swimming all around the tank, he is also working on his bubble nest a bit more. Should I just give up on trying to breed him with my original female or should I still try showing him a different female tomorrow and then switching back to the original female?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #36 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you can tell that he's in good shape - and he's working on a nest, you don't need to show another female. Just wait a day or so and reintroduce the original female. Watch how they act - flirt or fight.

If he's still not interested in her (usually it's the female that's not interested), it would be best to try another female.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #37 
BettaLover101

Mmk, sounds good. I'll try reintroducing the female tomorrow and see how things go. I hope this works.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #38 
BettaLover101

I put the female back into the cylinder inside the bucket and the male is flirting with her, not a lot but its a start, and he is working on his bubble nest again.

The female is still active as ever and watches the male as he moves about the bucket, she is definitely interested so I won't have a problem with her.

Just have to keep my fingers crossed that the male doesn't lose interest again.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #39 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hope all goes well this time.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #40 
Fawnleaf

Me too!! Let us know what happens!!
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, bucket, different method, not see through, pair