Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Please help Butterfly!!!!!!

Please help me! I don't know what happened. My HM Butterfly was fine when I left the room, but when I came back half of his fin was gone! Just completely ripped off. I don't know what to do, please help me! I have some bettafix, rid-ich and Melafix on hand. I feed him pellets and a few bloodworms. He is in a 1.5 gallon tank with a light, heater and a filter. Maybe it was torn on the filter? But if his fin won't grow back, I think I will take him back to the store and get a new one, because he still has a warranty. I know that is awful, but I got him for his beautiful fins and now they are half gone! I'm so sorry, I'm just worried. I will feel awful if his fins don't grow back and I get a new one, but I'll be saving another life... I don't know what I should do, I've never seen a tear this bad...
The last pic is a before, the first 3 are nows... I'm sorry they are blurry, he kept swimming...
Attached Images

Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

Oh, wow... I'm guessing it probably got stuck in the filter. Poor guy.

I hate to say it, but that part probably won't grow back- but don't take him back! You've given him such a good home, and returning to murky, dirty water would be such a big shock to him... Yes, if you buy another one, you'll be saving another betta's life, but then you'll be throwing away Butterfly's. :/

If that last part sounded very dramatic I'm sorry, I didn't mean it to be XD

He doesn't look very stressed... I'd put a tsp of aquarium salt in there, continue with your water changes, and maybe put a tsp of aqu. salt a few more times during the water changes, but no more than 5...

So just keep his water clean and he should be fine...
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

I don't think it will grow back much either. But I got him because I just loved his fins, and now they're ruined... ugh!!! He isn't stressed, I just gave him a 100% water change today and he is still acting great, flaring and everything. I think something scared him though and it just sucked his fin up. I'm so upset. My poor HM is ruined. :(
I don't have any aquarium salt, and if it won't grow back I'll just keep the water clean... D:
Old 02-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

That's alright, aquarium salt isn't completely necessary, as long as the water is kept clean.

I'm sorry about him, though :(
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

AQ salt (chloride..(?)) is used for open wounds usually, so it would certainly help, but, like any injury, with extreamly clean water, Im sure itll be fine.
Id invest in a bit though :B
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Poor guy....by the looks it almost looks more like tail biting.....since it is just part of the tail or it got pinched between something......it will grow back in time and lots of clean water...they may never look the same...but they will grow back....hopefully he is not tail biting....however, I would turn the filter off and start 50% daily water changes with 1-100% weekly for a couple of weeks then 1-50% and 1-100% weekly thereafter....you will get better/faster re-growth without the filter running and also if you have tannins to add this will also help.

He is a beautiful Betta I see why you got him....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

Will it grow at least mostly back so it looks full and pretty? I won't ever expect his stunning 180 degree spread again... I won't return him, he is so sweet. He is sleeping with his head out of a window in his pineapple right now... I'd love to get another HM, but he is so special.
So I should turn off the filter? Okay, I'll do that now. His water is really crystal clear right now, just did a 100% water change this morning. I'll start with 25%-50% water changes tomorrow. I can't believe it, he was so amazing, he was like my favorite... :(
Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #8 
BettasForever

Use aquarium salt. I am so sad to hear this about Butterfly. :( Please don't take him back, he expects you to love him as he is. ;)
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

I don't have any aquarium salt and I don't want to get messy with the stuff when I just cleaned the tank. He can't go through 100% water changes every day for it... I'll just put in a few drops of Bettafix, keep the water clean, feed him his fin improving pellets, give him a few bloodworms every now and then, and pray.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #10 
bamsuddenimpact

I would say get rid of the filter possibly.. I mean bettas usually are not huge fans of current and better to be safe than sorry
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote