Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #1 
shayabetta

Exclamation Major Fin Rot, Just bought him to try and help save.. please help me help him!!=/

Ok, so while at Petco buying Stitch a Five gallon home, i saw this terribly sick betta, and i absolutely could not walk out of that store without trying to help him!
I'm almost absolutely positive its fin rot, ive read alot about it on here..
So i have read you must keep them in a small tank, 100% water changes everyday, and im using bettafix. I also bought some fish antibiotic called fish mox.. but before using i wanted to check and see what you guys thought about that?
also i am doing the aquarium salt water treatment..
this is pretty urgent and just so you can see here is what he looks like:
=/

i named him lucky as an encouring name so he can live up to it..

PLEASE HELP!
♥SHAYA
shayabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella....you want to pick one treatment method and use it alone...it can be dangerous mixing too many meds/products..... this can be toxic to the Betta....

Since I only use natural means of treatments-personally I would do the aquarium salt treatment and improved nutrition

For aquarium salt treatment-I like to pre-mix my treatment water so that I can also add tannins to steep-this also help make the correct dosage and daily water changes easier....what I do...

In a 1gal jug (I use a clean 1gal milk jug) fill with dechlorinated water-ADD 1tsp/gal aquarium salt and the tannin source-steep for at least 1 hour and shake well before use

Tannin source-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal) or Indian almond leaf (1 med/gal crushed) or decaf green tea (1bag/gal) use only one of these-the longer they steep the more tannins released the darker the water the more the Betta likes it...each day the Betta will get more tannins with the daily 100% water change.

Use this pre-mixed treatment water for the 100% daily water changes for 10 days

It is important to get the treatment water within a couple of degree in temp with the QT water the Betta is in...what I do....I use two cups-one the Betta is in and the second QT container I will fill with the treatment water about an hour before the scheduled daily water change and float it in the heated tank to come to temp-I use a thermometer and check the temp and once they are equalized I net the Betta and place him in the second QT container of treatment water....dump and rinse the first one to be ready for the next days water change....

I also attach the QT to the side of the tank with duct tape so the QT will not sink or get knocked around by the filter

Anytime I treat a fish I also like to use plastic veggie wrap over the top of the QT to help keep the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ and maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range and I keep the tank lights out as well to create a dimly lit low stress environment

Nutrition is also important and I like to feed really small amounts several times a day.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

He'll be right as rain with OFL's advice :3
Good luck, and thanks for saving him! <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #4 
Lordsameth

Oh my gosh, he looks like my precious Biscotti.

You have the right idea, but don't use the Betta Mox and Bettafix at the same time, it won't do him ANY good. Treat with aquarium salt and daily water changes, I use Betta fix for fin healing and it is wonderful stuff, but does it ever stink! Don't use either for more than 10 days.

Just a warning, when you buy a Betta with a bacterial infection, it is quite likely there is something else wrong with it as well, so be cautious because he might have more than just fin rot. You seem like you're doing a good job though, so it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about!
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #5 
FishyFriend1

oh dear thats terrible...... kudos to you for helping him

bettafix etc don't work that well, you want actual medicine. after you stop treatment of bettafix, the fin rot will most likely come back
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #6 
BettasForever

How cute is he! So sorry he has such a terrible fish disease. Keep us updated please!
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:53 AM   #7 
Aluyasha

I am dealing with the same problem with my newest Betta, Darcia, he has fin rot aswell as ich and fungus.
I am treating him with Ich Attack by AquaHerbals (and AQ Salt of course), it is supposed to help with all those problems. I gave him his second treatment today and he does seem a bit more active. Though he is still not eating.
Good luck with your Betta's recovery, I hope he makes it.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:19 AM   #8 
Luimeril

i try to avoid meds. :< for all fin issues, i swear by clean, warm water, and aquarium salt, like OFL said. (+1 to her! :D). his rot's pretty bad. x-X here's to a fast recovery for Lucky!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #9 
shayabetta

Thank you all soo much for the feedback!
Alright well im just going to see how he does with clean water, good temp, high protein food, and for a while im going to use some meds just to help nip it in the but a little.. but thank you all so much for all the advice, its very comforting to know if i have any questions there are such nice people with quick responses, so thanx again![=

♥shaya
shayabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #10 
Aluyasha

That is what this forum is for! :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote