Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #11 
maycausedeath

Alright, just making sure something wasn't wrong (other than the ich...)

It's a 2.5 gallon with nothing else besides one live java fern. It's not anchored or tied to anything. I have a filter with the setting on low as can be.
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Since your plant is not a rooted type plant....I would just do a full tear down on the 2.5g and clean it well, however, by the time you are done with the Ich treatment in QT...most likely any parasites in the tank will have died without a host...but if the tank has been set up for a while...a good cleaning never hurts and if its a new setup it won't be a loss of good bacteria...easy enough to put the fern in another container that is big enough for the heater and the QT fish to float in to maintain heat so you can let the 2.5gal, gravel, any decorations, filter and filter media...dry out for at least a day (24h) to be 99.9% sure any parasite in the tank are dead.....just a thought....either way will work......and if you have already established the nitrogen cycle in that tank and you don't want to re-start it as long as the filter is still running the organics from the live plant should hold your cycle until the Betta is put back in the tank....your good to go.....it all in what you want to do...

If you leave it up and running-unplug the filter and heater and then give the substrate a good stir to get all the mulm/debris up in the water column and dip out most of the water-refill with fresh dechlorinated water and once the filter is turned back on it should clear within an hour or so....do this daily until you put the Betta back in after the Ich treatment...don't forget to plug the heater back in and monitor the temp.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #13 
maycausedeath

I wish I could let everything dry because the tank is only about a week old, but we don't have anything big enough for the heater... If I do leave the tank up and running would I have to leave the java fern in? I was thinking about letting it grow with some of its leaves out of water in a jar on my desk where it would get more sun. Can it deal with salt? I topped off the tank with some of the salt solution this morning.

Or could I take everything out of the tank and let it dry while the fish and heater stay in?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

I would just leave the tank as it is...the parasites should die off on their own without a host while you have the Betta in QT...

Java fern is more tolerant of salt than most plants, however, I wouldn't add any salt to the main tank-I would also keep the fern totally underwater-they can grow emersed but if it has it submersed leaves right now them they will dry up out of the water....ferns are a low light slow growing plant anyway...so it really doesn't need the extra sunlight....
Old 02-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #15 
maycausedeath

First I'd like to thank OFL for putting up with all my stupid questions, and just generally being awesome.

Now for the update: I've got the java fern back in, did a 50% wc on the main tank today. It's Spencer's 2nd day in the quarantine. He looked fine when I got home from school and did a water change, but I noticed the ich has spread A LOT. He also has lots of broken fins and one of the crowns has actually snapped off. I think it might be from the net I'm using. He doesn't seem to be getting better at all. Is there anything I can do?

I'll post pictures shortly.

Last edited by maycausedeath; 02-03-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: i'm stupid and forget to type things
Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #16 
maycausedeath

Sorry for the extremely low quality/blurry/fuzziness/camera reflections. It's dark here and my camera hates light :/

Sorry about the flash in this one :/

And the reflections in these two :c
You can see the crown that's about to fall off in this one. It fell off right after I took this. :|

I'm not gonna be able to take any more pictures because the camera stresses him out and I think it might be making him hurt himself more cause he gets so agitated :c

Last edited by maycausedeath; 02-03-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: i'm stupid
Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

He needs more time...and be sure and wet the net really good before using it on the fish...this can sometimes help.....
Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #18 
maycausedeath

Exclamation

Sorry for not updating I've been really busy with school and such.

I continued his salt treatment, and also discovered I had Maracide so I began that as well. I'm on day 4 of the 5 day treatment, and up to now he seemed much better. However today I came home from school, changed his water 100%, but him in the new qt cup etc, and he looks terrible! He's got all these little tiny tears in his fins and they are turning grey. Like large patches of grey all across his fins. I don't see anything on his body. He also is breathing much more rapidly, and his fins by hive gills have slowed a lot.

Is this normal for ich?

He's been eating hungrily, and generally begging like usual.

I'll see what I can do about pictures since my camera is missing.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

He could be getting toxic from the added medication and the salt....also, check the expiration date on the Maracide or Malachite green...was this old, new, opened, exposed to extreme conditions or light...etc...important not to mix treatment..good that he is eating...
Old 02-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #20 
maycausedeath

Are the medication and salt toxic when mixed?

It's new, I picked it up when I got my betta in case something like this happened.

It's a little strange since the patches on his fins seem to be more grey than white, and they're much larger than what I thought ich was. It's also confirmed that there are holes in his fins, and some of them are big enough to be seen through.