Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #11 
cjayBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
She isn't keeping wild bettas. Most bettas are domesticated, you can't really compare them.
I didn't say she was keeping Wild betta's I just stated that in the wild they adapt to temperature change so naturally a Betta in captivity would still have the capability to adapt to a fluctuation as well. I will give you that maybe not large fluctuations but I cannot see a slight drop or rise affect the Betta's over all health.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #12 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayBetta View Post
I didn't say she was keeping Wild betta's I just stated that in the wild they adapt to temperature change so naturally a Betta in captivity would still have the capability to adapt to a fluctuation as well. I will give you that maybe not large fluctuations but I cannot see a slight drop or rise affect the Betta's over all health.
These bettas are not in the wild though. A fluctuation of a few degrees is okay but you really never know what could happen in terms of weather. It is winter right now so heaters are on, keeping the betta nice and warm. But what about summer when the air conditioning is on? In the summer we keep our house at about 70 degrees, which is too cold.

All I am saying is that it is better to be safe than sorry. If they don't want to get a heater then they don't have to. I just don't like to risk my bettas' health.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #13 
cjayBetta

Let's agree to disagree. Although that last comment was rude. Just because people don't feel a heater is needed does not mean that the lives of their betta's are at risk. As long as the temperature is in the range of the correct temperature without using a heater the your betta will be happy and healthy.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #14 
turtle10

I wasn't rude. Here where I live it would be necessary for my betta's health. Our temperature fluctuates all the time, especially since everyone is always changing the temperature of the house.

I apologize if I came across as rude, that certainly was not my intent. I do agree though that bettas can and have lived perfectly normal/healthy lives without a heater. Unfortunately my location deems a heater necessary. Again, I apologize, the last thing I want to be is mean :/, so I am sorry.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #15 
cjayBetta

:D Sorry I though you were being rude. I just got defensive because my betta's dont have heaters and their temp is always 76-78. You are right tho because if you cannot keep those temps without a heater you should invest in one.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #16 
turtle10

Lol yeah my sister is always turning the temp down and I am always turning it back up, so it fluctuates from like 72-76.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #17 
cjayBetta

Sounds like my husband lol
Old 02-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #18 
turtle10

lol :)
Old 02-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #19 
cjayBetta

I just need now to figure out whats wrong with poor chewie now. I put an update about him in the thread "Need Help Please" I could use all the ideas anyone can muster.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #20 
ejcapulet

Well, all, as it turned out he DID have fin rot; just the earliest stages and the meds I got at PetSmart cleared him right up. I also got him a floating betta log to play in and a soft rubber anemone (he still suspects it of being a terrorist, but he's always been suspicious) and I now change his water every other day. I still have yet to find a small enough heater, though. So thanks everyone.
ejcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fins