Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #1 
Wildcat

Starter Plant Bulbs, Any experiences?

Wondering if anyone has had experiences with this type of live plant bulbs? If so, how long does it take for you to see growth? Is the cloudy
looking stuff normal after being in aquariun for a couple weeks? Any dangers to Bettas that you are aware of?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Attached Images

Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #2 
GienahClarette

I got some, and they didn't grow at all. It was a bit disappointing.
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I have had about 50/50 success with them...once they get mushy toss them....you don't want to bury them either...let them lay on top of the substrate and once they start to grow they will send their roots into the substrate on their own to anchor...if they are starting to cloud the water toss them...I would check them on a regular basis too...the lily bulbs will sometimes do better or at least not rot as fast as the apon corms...but still about a 50/50 on them as far as sprouting...but once they do...awesome plant....I have had some lily bulbs for....at least 10 years maybe and still doing fine and I have propagated from them too.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #4 
MoePaac

Agree with OFL -- some grow, some don't. They are cheap enough that in my opinion, they are worth it even if you go through a pack or two. Once they start growing, they really grow! I found it helpful to start them out in a bowl next to a window. This way the ones that didn't grow I could easily throw out, and when some sprouted, I easily transferred them to my tank. With this technique, they weren't molding in my tank and I had a better idea of what my success rate was.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #5 
GienahClarette

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoePaac View Post
Agree with OFL -- some grow, some don't. They are cheap enough that in my opinion, they are worth it even if you go through a pack or two. Once they start growing, they really grow! I found it helpful to start them out in a bowl next to a window. This way the ones that didn't grow I could easily throw out, and when some sprouted, I easily transferred them to my tank. With this technique, they weren't molding in my tank and I had a better idea of what my success rate was.
That's a pretty good idea. When I want some more plants, I may give that a shot.
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #6 
Alex09

Awesome! I bought that same pack a few months ago. Only one sprouted. Even so, it was so worth it! The plant is beautiful:

many leaves are now floating at the surface like lilies:
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #7 
Wildcat

I had actually wondered about starting them in another container and then transplanting into my tank. Good to know this works! I will give that a try and probably remove the 3 from my tank when I do a 100% change this weekend.
Thanks for all your input regardng this.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #8 
LolaQuigs

The cool thing about those bulbs is that they are guaranteed, so if you have bulbs that don't sprout, you can mail them to the address on the package and they will send you some more.

I had some that I sprouted in a ramekin then transplanted, but the plant eventually died. I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact that I was cycling and my params were wild. I think I'll pick up another pack of bulbs and try again.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote