Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #1 
BettasForever

Water change question!

Ok, I just changed his water about 50 minutes ago and I was wondering when I should put him in the tank? I have left the airstone on for the whole time.
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

How exactly did you change his water? =] Details are gold here! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #3 
BettasForever

Well, I used tap water with betta water conditioner and did 100% change.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

... Lemme post something I posted on another thread... be right back.

Here we go! =]

To do a 100% water change:

Pre-Water Change: Do not wash your hands or dishes or clothes or use any kind of detergent, soap, or lotion for about half an hour to an hour beforehand. the chemicals and residues could make your fish sick or kill them. ESPECIALLY stay away from bleach!

Step 1: Unplugging. Unplug your heater and filter and wait 15 minutes for your heater to cool off.

Step 2: Catching your betta. (I hope you still have the cup you bought him in) you scoop your betta into the cup (or you can fill the cup with water, net him and put him into the cup with the net. that's more stressful though and might rip his fins), then pour out water until there's just a little room over his head. Secure the lid back on the cup and set your betta aside.
(An easy way to scoop them is to trun the cup on its side then dip it into the water close to your betta and do so quickly. They'll get sucked into the cup with the flow of the water.)

Step 3: The Bucket. Get a bucket and put it on the ground near the piece of furniture your tank is on.

Step 4: Syphoning. Grab some airline tubing or a syphon and put the larger end (if you're using a syphon) in the tank. Suck on the other end of the tubing until the water starts to flow down the other end of the tube towards the end you just sucked on. Quickly before the water reaches your end, put your end into the bucket. The water should be flowing up and out of your tank and then down into the bucket.

Step 5: Transport and Pre-rinse. Wait till your tank is empty. Pour whatever's left into your bucket. Then take your tank to the nearest large sink or bathroom with a tub/shower and fill it with the hottest watter your home produces. DON'T PUT YOUR HANDS IN. (you might get burned). Let it sit for 5-10 seconds then pour it out.

Step 6: Cleaning and drying. DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF SOAP. Next you fill it with as hot of water as you can stand having your hand in for a while. Then you put your hand in there and start rubbing any kind of slimey stuff off the sides. Make sure your tanks feels clean on all surfaces on the inside. Pour it out. Fill it and wash a second time. Then Rinse with warm, then cool water. Once your done you can grab a towel and dry off your tank (you don't want water marks).

Step 7: Filling and conditioning. Fill your tank with water using an water jug (a jug of water at the grocery store typically costs $0.89) that has previously been emptied or used and then refilled with tap water. Next add the proper amount of water conditioner to your tank.

Step 8: Plug in heater and filter. Waiting again. Next you plug everything back in and then wait about 30-40 minutes for everything to dechlorinate and the water to heat up.

Step 9: Floating and acclimation. Float your betta's cup in the tank to let it adjust to the temperature. After about 5-10 minutes you can take the lid off their cup and start slowly adding small amounts of water every 2 or 3 minutes. when the cup is full the betta is ready to be set free.

Step 10: You're done! =] celebrate by feeding your betta. ;]

If you have decor and gravel in your tank you wash those when you wash the tank but for gravel you remove it all, put it in a colandar and rinse it and scrub it like you did when you first set things up. You do the same for the decor.

You don't need to do 100% changes in a cycled tank! =] It's easier to cycle 5 gallons and up than anything under that.

Once you cycle your tankyou only need to do 50-25% partial water changes per week.

When doing a partial water change you want to premix fresh water in jugs with water conditioner, fill a container (like the one your betta came in) with old tank water, unplug your heater and filter, take out your filter media and put it in the container or out in the open inside your tank. Then you wait about an hour for the tank to get to around room temperature. Then check to see if your new water's temperature is as close as possible to the rest of the water in your tank (this prevents temperature shock) then you start pouring in your fresh dechlorinated water. =] Then you put your filter media back in the filter, plug everything in and you're done! =]

Hope this helped some! =]

Good luck with your betta. =]

This should help you out! =] You are keeping him in his cup he came in during his water changes correct?

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 02-06-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

If you have a small easily moved tank or container such as a 1 gallon or a 2 gallon made out of plastic then you can skip the syphoning and bucket.

I did that with my 2.5 only because I was using a HEAVY glass jar and couldn't lift it when it was filled with water and substrate! XD

If you can lift your container you can skip right to the pre-rinse and cleaning section. ;]

It also includes instructions for acclimating your betta and releasing them =]
Old 02-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #6 
BettasForever

Yes, I'm on step 10 and currently floating him with the light and airstone on.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #7 
BettasForever

Thank you so much, I put him in and he's so happy. <3 I also saved your 'tutorial' and saved it into my Comet folder :D
Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

Aw you're welcome! <:D Thanks that's so sweet!

Hope your boy does well! =] Are you in a warm area or getting a heater soon? =]