Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #1 
coolcucumber

Filter baffles? :D

I need to make one for my 5gal, its divided with 2 bettas. However, my betta has developed a case of tail biting, and im assuming the aquaclear filter current is too strong. I was going to get a sponge, but does it have to be an aquarium-specific sponge? Or is any sponge okay>

I dont really understand how the plastic bottle one works, so i think ill stay away from that one..
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #2 
drg889

You must get a filter sponge, regular sponges will mold in the water.

You can go to most petstores and ask for them, they should have them, i had to get one for my 5gallon tank as well, and went to petsmart, they didnt have one big enough, so my local petstore had one, costed 4 bucks for a "50 gallon filter sponge" I just cut it, placed it where the water was flowing out, and the intake, and voila. fixed it.
drg889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #3 
coolcucumber

-sigh-

back to the pet store. ive been to 3 already this week ;D

Thanks! I dont know, the plastic bottle one looks to dangerous.. my fish would go sit in it and get stuck hahah
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcucumber View Post
-sigh-

back to the pet store. ive been to 3 already this week ;D

Thanks! I dont know, the plastic bottle one looks to dangerous.. my fish would go sit in it and get stuck hahah
No "ha ha" about it. One of the posters here lost her betta last year that way when the fish went in the plastic bottle, got stuck and drowned.

I REALLY don't understand why that method is still being recommended!!!! Grrrr............

Yes, get an AquaClear (or Imagine in another brand) sponge/foam filter insert and rubber band it to the front of the filter. It is the BEST method of baffling, IMO - pull the sponge up for more flow, down for less and it gives the "good" bacteria another excellent place to grow. :)

Last edited by Lion Mom; 02-01-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #5 
coolcucumber

Oh, goodness. Thats horrible. I suppose i will definatly go with the sponge, then.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #6 
sayurasem

idk why but my aquaclear sponge got no color in it. still white yellow... so i know good bacteria is not there..... and its been 2 weeks.
before i layed out a piece of cloth and it turned brown over night.

maybe or maybe not its because of my corkscrew val... since i bought one it grew 2 new plants with 4/5 leaves. sucks up all the good stuff for the bacteria
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #7 
Goomba3

I put Cheep-Cheep into the new 10-gallon divided tank, in the middle partition which will be his home, and he did not like the filter flow, was way too strong. I took him out and put him in the empty left-hand side, until I can get a sponge. I don't like the plastic bottle idea, either.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #8 
vilmarisv

I have baffled all my filter with this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250
It's the perfect size to place on the intake tubes, I don't even need to tie it up because it floats and it stays in place which makes it very easy to clean, just slide out and rinse in the old water.
It's very innexpensive and makes regular filters safe to use with tiny fry.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #9 
Kittles

Quote:
I dont really understand how the plastic bottle one works, so i think ill stay away from that one..
Be not afraid of the bottle baffle, my friend.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #10 
Goomba3

@vilmarisv: Your link only leads to a Petsmart page not found error.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote