Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #1 
hobbyboy333

Question I Have A Question?

Ok.......... so here's the dealio,

So I have a male and a female betta and I have them all set up in the beeding tank. (Male is in tub and female is in a glass vase which is in the tub. I have my foam cup and some hornwort in there also.) The female is VERY interested in breeding.(She has her vertical stripes and is constantly interested in the male and [Whats supposed to be the bubble nest]. Well the male was flaring some and was blowing a few bubbles (that wern't sticking) but now he's lost interest and is just swimming around normally. So I'm wandering if he's to young, or if he's just making silivia?? Also, is this stressing the female or male out??? Should I separate them or just leave them were they are?? btw the female is in a big enough vase to stay.
hobbyboy333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:30 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Take them out for now and try again later.
The female definitely sounds ready. But I'm not sure about the male (not enough info).
They become sexually mature in about 4 months or so and should be around 3cm. But it's best to breed after they reach 6 months/ fully grown.

Both male and female should swim in an "S" pattern. The male usually makes bubble nest (not always) and the female show vertical bars. These are the basic signs of readiness.

A healthy male should flirt with the female for days. If he looses interest, he is either unhealthy or was just flaring to fight.

Wait a full day or two before re-introducing them. Make sure both have been properly condition and are healthy, specially the male because he will usually fast during the whole process (about 3 - 5 days). When you introduce them, make sure both flirt in an "S" pattern. And if he, again, looses interest (not just rest but totally looses interest) separate them again (he isn't healthy enough to breed) and replace him with another male.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #3 
hobbyboy333

Thanks so much for the info!! I ended up leaving them in there the night and from the looks of it, the male has made a quite large bubble nest!!! He only flares a little............ha, right when I type that and look over he's flaring like crazy. lol Anyways........ I put some food in there this morning and both the male and female ate willingly. That would not be a prob. would it???? Also, how do you tell when the male is done building the nest??
Old 02-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Don't use the nest as a sign. Some don't make nests while others may make gigantic ones. Besides, bubble nest will eventually pop and the male will add new bubbles so he is never done with the nest. Look how they react to one another - are they trying to bite each other or are they flirting? If you have plenty of getaways for the female, you can release her anytime. Other wise it's safer to wait for 1 - 3 days before releasing her.

Eating is not a problem. Many would often eat when they're still separated but usually (specially the male) won't eat once the female is released. And don't worry if he does.
Just curious, what fry foods have you prepared? Make sure their ready before your pair spawns. You see, spawning them is the easy part. Rearing the fry is the real challenge.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #5 
hobbyboy333

I let them together and they are doing everything like usual. (male is showing off and chasing the female around) I DO have plenty of hiding places for the female.

And for the fry.........(your going to get mad at me)..........but I've heard some people have luck with just some powdered fish food. I am only planning on keeping very few of the fry just because I don't have enough room for all of them, so if not all of them survive, that will be fine.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #6 
Abby

Baby brine shrimp.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #7 
hobbyboy333

Egg yolks and variety of powdered flakes and pellets????
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #8 
Abby

you do know that the babies are going to be WAY tiny and too small for pellets and flake food will need to be like DUST for them to b able to eat it, then they need to be fed like 5 times a day very very tiny amounts.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #9 
GienahClarette

Vinegar Eels
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #10 
hobbyboy333

Ok, so how about this............. a POWDERED variety of fish flakes and pellets, Egg Yolks, AND some infusoria I'm cultivating???????