Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #1 
SmokeNLark

Betta that likes a smaller tank

Some bettas just like smaller tanks. Personally, I feel that 1.5 gal is the smallest I'd keep a betta in. I've got a 1.5, a 2, a 3 and a 5. I had Neptune in my 5 gallon which used to be divided. I took the divider out because I didn't like it. It was completely bare for a couple days while I waited for my plants to come in, and Neptune completely bit his tail. I figured it was because there were no hiding spots. He gets easily stressed and loses color almost instantly during a water change. I put the plants and driftwood in, some color came back and he was doing better. When my AB fish came in, I moved Neptune into a gallon bowl that is unheated (my room is warm so he's not cold at all) until I could grab him another since I wanted the 5 gallon for the new one. I put him in there Saturday. His color was alright. I left for class this morning at 845 and came back at 230 and WOW. His color is deep and rich again! He's never colored up this nice.

Moral of the story- Some bettas, with proper water changes, can be perfectly happy in a smaller tank. (Though I still don't think any fish would be happy in those .5 gallon or smaller "betta bowls")

Anyone else have a fish like this?
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I do! My Macceroni freaks out in his (undevided) 5gal. Honestly, he was happy as a pig in poop in his QT 1 gal and even happier in his 1.5.
He bites his tail, glass surfs and gets stressed in the big tank (planted well)..
My smaller ones could be bare and he seems happier... Oy.
Oh well :3 <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #3 
Aluyasha

My mom's late Betta, Finger, loved his 1 gallon. I put him in a 2.5 for a while and he was droopy and fearful. But in the 1 gallon he flared at people and played in his filter and was just a completely different fish! :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #4 
DazzleKitty

I had a beautiful blue veil tail that was in a gallon bowl for a month or so and was very happy looking in it. He was fairly active and liked his food. I put him in a 2.5 gallon and he didn't seem as happy or active for some reason. Perhaps he liked the enclosed area better?
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

I had a CT that didn't care for 5 gallons, but really like his 2 gallon bowl. Some Bettas are weird!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
I had a CT that didn't care for 5 gallons, but really like his 2 gallon bowl. Some Bettas are weird!
I have a half moon like that - LOVES his 2 gal. drum bowl!!!

Have another one that REALLY gets inactive if his heat goes over 79 - strange dude.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #7 
Aluyasha

I always figured that Finger was too stressed out in an open space (the 2.5 gallon). And it was just easier to feel safe in the 1 gallon tank.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #8 
dragonfair

Yeah, only one of mine likes a bigger tank. Everyone started out in a 10 gallon at one time or another and ended up in smaller tanks as they showed signs of stress. They all seem happier in 3 gallons. Huh.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote