Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #1 
Marona

New betta, strange behavior

Two days ago I got a new betta, I fell in love with him while getting some plants at petsmart. (D: ) At the pet store he was one of the most energetic fish there. Flaring at the females despite his small size, and swimming around his cup like a maniac. I thought I'd have trouble with keeping him in my temporary desk tank!

But now he hardly moves, he just lays at the bottom of his tank or on his leaf hammock. He only ever swims up to get air then sometimes floats there or in the corner of his tank for a second before floating back down.

I know he's not too terribly fearful of me because he swims really slowly around the where he can see my face better.

He won't respond to food.
I literally have to touch him with my net to get him to move sometimes.

It may be a petsmart thing? Just getting used to a new environment? I'm so used to the fish I got from a mom 'n pop fish store. He is friendly and energetic. Pictures will come after work. I don't /think/ he has stress stripes but it's hard to tell.
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #2 
BettaLover101

How small is the tank and what are you feeding him? Also, does he have any visible problems such as little white spots or fungus anywhere?
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella....hopefully it is just an adjustment period and he misses the interaction with the other fish.....

How big is his container, water temp, filter, additives used, live plants, how did you acclimate him to your source water....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #4 
jschristian44

sounds to me like he is lonely. that is the same way my fish acted when i first got him. but then i got a bigger bowl and he seemed happier. also, time makes it better as well. but now i got him in a 10 gallon for spawning. he really liked his 2.5 gallon though because he was always blowing bubble nests like crazy in there, but i moved him into the 10 gallon for spawning reasons. i prefer to keep one male in a 2.5 gallon if you want him his optimum happiness. also, id imagine some other fish like loaches or tetras or guppies would make him a little happier as well. good luck!
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #5 
Marona

It's just a small tank. .8 gal. I have some of the smaller breed of duckweed. I'm still trying to grow one of the plant bulbs in there, too. I'd get him something to hide in but that just doesn't seem to be his problem. :/ Especially since he's not swimming from me. He just isn't really swimming much.

For temperature, he's just at room temperature. I have a fairly warm room, but the small tank is just difficult to heat and I'm heading up to the mom 'n pop fish store tomorrow and was going to check out better heat sources since my last one was much too large for the little tank.

I did not take the steps to acclimate him. He was just in a cup and I thought he would be ok since he was so energetic and my last fish has easily adapted to each tank. (Probably bad move on my part) I have quite a lot of the anti-stress betta max in there with him. His ammonia levels were fine yesterday. I'll check again today and probably change his tank since most of the food I've put in is just laying around.

Here's a picture since I have a minute. His gills look a bit odd and he often has them poked outwards more then my other fish. But I thought maybe the blue tint was just his coloration.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #6 
jschristian44

check the nitrite and nitrate levels. also, it semes that the .8 gallon is probably too small for him but should be good enough. i think he is just adapting to the change from being so active and around all other fish to being inside a small fish tank. think about it, its like going from a mansion to a box inside an alley. either way, just give it some time and try not to use so much betta additives artificially. what you should do is get some indian almond leaves. one half leaf i bet will get him up and moving happy again, just watch. also make sure you use water conditioner...
Old 02-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #7 
Marona

No he went from the petart cup to my tank xD lol.

I'm just keeping him on it till I figure out what to get since I have limited space.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #8 
jschristian44

the 1 gallon should be fine, thats the recommended for bettas, but i still think 2 gallon and larger they will be happier. but like i said, give it some time he should come around. my fish was the exact same way when i first got him. he wouldnt eat anything and just laze around. now he swims around nicely and whenever i put food in the tank he rushes over, its really fun.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and start some 50% water changes on him-it almost sounds and looks like he may be having some problems with either ammonia, nitrite, chlorine or chloramine or even a pH shock from not being acclimated.....use a little extra dechlorinater with the first couple of 50% water changes and then back to the normal amount especially if it has the aloe in it....the aloe can sometimes cause problems with the gill in too high amounts....be sure and remove any uneaten food so you don't foul the water too fast....more time and fresh dechlorinated water can sometimes help, however, be aware that if it is pH related sadly sometimes this can kill them in 2-3 days...it can take 24-48h to shut their system down and nothing can really be done once it happens....but hopefully it is just ammonia and adaption and he will be fine in a day or so....positive thoughts.......he is a nice looking Betta by the way....nice find.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #10 
Marona

Thanks. c: I couldn't resist him at the petstore. And when he was showing off to the ladies it was too adorable to pass up.

I just did a 50% water change. And set him next to my other betta's 5gal. Watched them for about 5 minutes. He would fan at my other betta, and vice versa but not with the same energy as he did at the pet store. D: I'm really hoping he's ok.