Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #1 
neekis

5 gal bucket...

I am in the process of making water changing easier...if I was to go buy a 5 gal bucket, would it be okay to go to a hardware store and get a bucket or should I get one specifically for aquariums?

(Obviously, no matter were I get the bucket, I would wash it and rinse is very well.)

Thanks in advance!
neekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

As long as the bucket is human grade safe or safe for food and/or water it will be fine....I like to get the 2.5gal buckets in the houseware/hardware dept at walmart for under $4.00....cheap and not as heavy to carry and/or pour from..I like to keep my fish cleaning stuff in it too.....I label all my stuff for fish "Fish Only" with a marker

I use the 5gal buckets too-I use them outside to catch rainwater, spawn in the warmer months and grow aquatic freshwater aquatic critters for my fish....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #3 
neekis

Thank you soo much! I'm glad I asked, because I'm sure most of the buckets at the hardware store are not food grade. Thanks again!
neekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

I get mine from my local bakery - for FREE!!!! :)

Rinse with straight hot water a few times, dry with paper towel and it's all good!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #5 
Alex09

I got my 5 gal bucket from the hardware section At walmart. Before that, I used a bucket from home depot. Both worked fine and gave me no problems. I stopped using the home depo bucket when I found out my mom would fill it up with a solution of bleach and soap and use it to mop the floors

If you are really concerned, look under the bucket. There should be a number inside a triangle. Do research on what it means and It should tell you if it's safe or not.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote