Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #1 
Tsuhei

Did I just get the wrong female?

Alright, as some of you may know, I'm planning on breeding my marble HMPK, Stamps (avatar picture). Searching on Aquabid, I found the perfect female:

I purchased her January 7, 2011 and she just arrived today. She was advertised on Aquabid for maybe...1 month or 2. This is what I got:

Don't get me wrong - she's GORGEOUS. However, is this even the same female?! I see the white patches of marbling, but she definitely doesn't even have the same hue as the picture of the female I was purchasing! Did she marble over time? (the aquabid picture has to be about 3 months old or so)

Is this the right female!? Or is it not?

If not - Will she and Stamps still make good babies? -_- I don't want to go through the whole shipping fiasco and try to house a 5th betta - I don't have room for anymore since the remaining space is for fry jars.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

She looks the same (minus the color). It looks like they used different lighting and may have used photoshop too.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #3 
Abby

Personally i think its a different fish hon. while there IS the faint white spots the eyes are different as well. i doubt she has been through THAT much stress to be that pale. but give it a day or so and she will settle and show her true colors
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #4 
lilchiwolf

I cant say. My "all white" HM I have now had for about 3-4weeks as becoming no longer white! HE is marbling like mad. I would say a few more weeks he might not have much white on him. Some fish just change. I know color change can happen with age, but I also wonder in good water conditions and warmth if it can make the change faster?

Still a nice female!
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #5 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
Personally i think its a different fish hon. while there IS the faint white spots the eyes are different as well. i doubt she has been through THAT much stress to be that pale. but give it a day or so and she will settle and show her true colors

also the white patches dont even match between the fish
Old 02-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #6 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
also the white patches dont even match between the fish
yeah the patches don't match..that's why I'm wondering if she marbled over a 3 month period of time or not. Stamps (avatar picture) doesn't even have his white patches anymore. He's marbling again and now he's getting light turquoise spots all over his body.

The pictures at the moment don't do her MUCH justice - in person, she looks like an easter egg blue. (Kind of like this color)

The anal fin looks strikingly similar, but the eyes don't look the same..and I would think that she would at least stay the same base, dark blue color... I messaged the breeder with pictures just in case.

If anything, will this female and Stamps still make good looking babies? I'm aiming for marbles that marble turquoise like Stamps is currently and have white patches...so...
Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #7 
Abby

i absoloutely freaking LOVE your stamps i showed his pic to my partner and was like....I WANT THIS FISH hes like eh im like OMG GET AWAY FROM ME NOT EH B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L
Old 02-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #8 
GienahClarette

I'm trying out my understanding of betta genetics so far. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

Tail Patterns: You'd end up with marbles, and solids. Maybe butterflies or cambodians.

Colors: Greens and blues, with a good likelihood for iridescence.
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Here's something I whipped up in photoshop using the two images. She's a nice-looking female regardless, and I really love that turquoise sheen she has at the moment.

LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #10 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Here's something I whipped up in photoshop using the two images. She's a nice-looking female regardless, and I really love that turquoise sheen she has at the moment.

not exactly what you're trying to show me in this picture...the difference between the females or that it's the same female?