Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #1 
Elena

Hikari pellets with wheat and soy

I was feeding Hikari pellets until I noticed upon purchasing a new packet that they had a major formula change :( now they list wheat flour and soy meal as the first and third ingredients (bleh!) and have msg in them as well. I am definitely switching foods and am looking for a better pellet. I can not do frozen food as a main course for the guy I have at work; he will still get the occasional treat but that's it, so feeding quality pellets is so much more important for him. Any suggestions guys? What is everyone feeding their fish?
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

I am feeding New Life Spectrum Growth Formula (50% protein & 9% fat) - the pellets are TINY so nobody has any trouble eating them. Twice a week I feed Golden Pearls (60% protein) & fast once a week. Have been doing this since the beginning of August and so far, so good!!! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

I didn't know Hikari changed their formula, I have enough of a problem with wheat and soy in dog food, how could those ingredients EVER be acceptable for a fish to eat? Thanks for posting about it, I will see if I can find the foods Lion Mom recommended.

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 02-02-2011 at 03:39 PM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #4 
bettafish15

I use Wardleys betta pellets, however you have so soak them in tank water for a couple minutes first :) He healed his tail much faster on those kind than when I had him on the Hikari brand.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #5 
bamsuddenimpact

I use aqueon pellets, relatively cheap at like petco. They are tiny and I love watching my bettas dive to catch the before they hit the bottom
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #6 
Elena

Thanks guys! Sadly I checked and the petco and petsmart don't sell these or are out of stock. I was looking for the New Life Spectrum, and the Wardley too - albeit without luck. So I went online and found the omega one betta pellets! http://www.amazon.com/Omega-One-Buff...6699289&sr=8-2

What do you think? I'll also probably keep an eye out for Petco's supply of Spectrum- they were ALL out.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #7 
bamsuddenimpact

did u look for petco selling the aqueon pellets?
EDIT: its official name is Aqueon Betta Food(but they r micro pellets)

Last edited by bamsuddenimpact; 02-02-2011 at 08:57 PM.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

I use old Hiakri, HBH Betta Bites, but I'm thinkin of getting some baby cichlid pellets...cheap and I know many breeders who use them. I'm currently feeding frozen bloodworms as a staple.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #9 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena View Post
I was feeding Hikari pellets until I noticed upon purchasing a new packet that they had a major formula change :( now they list wheat flour and soy meal as the first and third ingredients (bleh!) and have msg in them as well. I am definitely switching foods and am looking for a better pellet. I can not do frozen food as a main course for the guy I have at work; he will still get the occasional treat but that's it, so feeding quality pellets is so much more important for him. Any suggestions guys? What is everyone feeding their fish?
whoa whoa whoa where does it say they have MSG why the HECK would they give a fish MSG omg it's not a fat guy in a chinese food restaurant who they want to eat more it's a betta!!

(same pellets, same ingredients, dont see the msg tho?)
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #10 
Elena

Mine says monosodium glutamate right after garlic. Maybe you have a different batch?
@bamsuddenimpact I did not look for the aqueon pellets. I will though next time I'm in there, thanks!