Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #21 
1fish2fish

What is your breeding set up like? I think someone asked that but you may have missed that question. Also what foods do you have prepared?

In my humble opinion, I don't think your necessarily ready to breed at all. You said in your first post you didn't even know what vertical stripes on a female meant. If you don't have a basic understanding of betta body language how do you intend to know how the spawn is going? How will you know when the female is actually stressed out and when she is just exhibiting normal spawning behavior?

Also.. you seem under the impression that your male is lonely. Your male is not lonely, he does not need a "girl friend" or any other fish to be happy. All he needs is clean water and good food to be happy. If your betta is acting sluggish and seems "lonely" that could be an indicator that he is not as healthy as he should be. Bettas are incapable of feeling lonely or depressed or missing other fish. They do not have the mental faculties for those emotions.. plain and simple.

I'd like to mention also that it is perfectly fine to spawn fish within a couple days after being shipped IF they are well conditioned and not stressed. I've spawned fish soon after getting them with no trouble whatsoever. HOWEVER... in this case I don't believe you are actually ready to breed. I'd still like to hear more about your set up first.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #22 
jschristian44

my setup is a 10 gallon tank with about 7-8 inches of almond leaf conditioned water. i have an almond leaf as a bubblenest maker and a few amazon sword plants for hiding, and a bunch of frogbit for the fry to hide in. i have a glass jar vase to act as the female barrier between the male. sponge filter dual sponges with an air pump. also have my baby brine shrimp auto feeder attached to the air pump to feed the fry. have a 78 tropical sun light for lighting. a few pvc pipes for the fry/female to hide in, etc.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #23 
jschristian44

yeah im stupid, i put the female in with the male because i thought she was ready. and i thought teh male wouldnt make his bubblenest until she was next to him. anyways she has torn fins and is resting near the top of the water. anything i can do?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #24 
Abby

is this your only tank?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #25 
jschristian44

no i put her in my 2.5 gallon i oringally had the male in. she is just resting at the top, what can i do? she isnt dead just really worn out.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #26 
Abby

you need three tanks
Old 02-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #27 
jschristian44

i knew i shouldnt have put her in there, but i thought males only make bubblnests sometimes when the female is in there.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #28 
Abby

she didnt even breed and look at her. see shes not ready.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #29 
1fish2fish

How do you have an auto feeder for BBS? They have to be hatched and harvested.

You aren't ready to breed. Quite frankly I don't think you have the maturity/patience it takes yet. You can't just throw two fish together. This goes back to what I was saying about understanding some basic body language. Have you done any reading at all on breeding besides this forum because believe me, this forum is one of the last sources you should be going to for breeding information. There are numerous way more informative sites that offer real fact based articles.

Take the female out, get her in her own tank and treat her for her fins. While she is healing start doing research on betta spawning behavior and what to look for.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #30 
jschristian44

when will she be ready? after 2 weeks of conditioning her? ah thank goodness, she is eating already and moving around like normal. im definately keeping her in the 2.5 gallon until i know she is ready to breed. i thought i did all the research i could. what else can i do? i am going to definately revive her until she looks healthy again before doing anything else though. im just glad she didnt die.
Closed Thread