Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #11 
Nutt007

I've got him in QT. I plan to start changing the water of the 10 gallon this weekend and to do 25% weekly changes. I'm gonna have a talk when my dad gets home tonight, I hope he'll agree. Still, does anyone know what it is? All I've got is Aquarium Salt.
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #12 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutt007 View Post
I've got him in QT. I plan to start changing the water of the 10 gallon this weekend and to do 25% weekly changes. I'm gonna have a talk when my dad gets home tonight, I hope he'll agree. Still, does anyone know what it is? All I've got is Aquarium Salt.
I still don't understand. And also 25% is not enough.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #13 
Nutt007

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
I still don't understand. And also 25% is not enough.
How much should I change it? Most sites said to change it that much and to do a 75% change monthly.
And can we please get back on the subject of what it is?! I am sure something like this requires meds.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #14 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutt007 View Post
How much should I change it? Most sites said to change it that much and to do a 75% change monthly.
And can we please get back on the subject of what it is?! I am sure something like this requires meds.
Oh wow don't go on those sites again, they don't have the right info. If you have a ten gallon, you should do 25-30% three times a week.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #15 
Nutt007

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Oh wow don't go on those sites again, they don't have the right info. If you have a ten gallon, you should do 25-30% three times a week.
Ammonia builds up THAT fast? Please, enlighten me.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #16 
turtle10

Yes ammonia builds up fast. It comes from food and poop but it is also being constantly secreted from their gills.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #17 
turtle10

Also, can you describe every single little detail you can about the red thing?

Shape, texture, etc.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #18 
kfish

Invest in an API Master Test kit (or even just the ammonia test), that way you can see for yourself how often you should do your water changes. Every tank is different. Sometimes you need more, sometimes you need less.

If your tank is cycled (which it may be by now), you don't need to change much water (like 50% once a week... or spread out to 25% twice a week, vacuuming the substrate in the process/stirring up the grosses and scooping them out... or even if you followed the schedule on that website, you'd be fine). I recommend getting the master test kit if you can afford it, that way you can see if the tank is cycled or how close to being cycled it is and how often you need to change the water... but given the issues you're already having, I'm not sure you'll be allowed to buy it. :\

When you go to the pet store, bring a sample of your water and have them test it. If you have nitrates (and no ammonia and nitrItes), you're cycled.

For an uncycled 10 gallon tank, I'd do 50% twice a week (which is kind of the same thing as turtle10 suggested, just bigger changes) until the tank cycles naturally, which shouldn't be long for you.

Also, nothing's been said about this... but just to make sure - never change the filter cartridge. Only rinse it off in old tank water you've removed.

Last edited by kfish; 02-03-2011 at 09:43 PM.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #19 
Nutt007

Thanks kfish! The red thing, it's bright red, it is round, and it looks like a swirl of blooms color and bright red inside his mouth.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #20 
kfish

Is he still eating okay?

It might help to add aquarium salt if you're not already, since it's an antiseptic. The typical dosage is 1 tsp/gallon. It's easy to pre-mix it in a 1 gallon jug from drinking water or milk (rinsed thoroughly). Just remember, no longer than 10 days of aquarium salt treatment.

I wonder if it's some type of mouth fungus or bacteria. It could be later stages of columnaris. Not sure he'd still be eating if that were the case, but, if there's a possibility of it, it needs to be treated immediately. The bacteria is very fast acting.

Someone else had success doing this:

Quote:
Guys the Tetracycline API mixed with FUNGUS ELIMINATOR by jungle. worked for me before.Tetracycline treats gram positive and gram negative bacteria.Those mixed together can do the trick.
I treated with that before. It really helped + aquarium salt. The site below give vary good description of fungal and bacterial infection. And how to treat it.
http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm
If you scroll down a bit there's a picture of a fish with columnaris that caused ulcers around its mouth. Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 would have the same effect in treating gram negative and positive bacterias.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote