Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #31 
Nutt007

Alright, the tablets say 1 for every 5 gallons, cutting it into fourths would give me about one gallon's worth of medicine. Is a little overdose bad for the fish?
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #32 
FuulieQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Oh wow don't go on those sites again, they don't have the right info. If you have a ten gallon, you should do 25-30% three times a week.
What?

I have never heard that before, like anywhere. I've been told to change my water in my planted 5gallon 50% once a week. :/
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #33 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
What?

I have never heard that before, like anywhere. I've been told to change my water in my planted 5gallon 50% once a week. :/
That's exactly how I change the water in my planted 5 gallon, as well. But it's planted and cycled. When it was cycling, I changed 50-75% twice a week, depending on the ammonia reading.

This post was with regard to an uncycled 10 gallon, which I'd change 50% twice a week (kind of similar to 25-30% three times a week). Once it's cycled though, I'd do 25-50% once a week on a 10 gallon. I think everyone thinks of it differently and does different things.

I'm a fan of testing the water and then deciding for myself how often to do my changes, though.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #34 
Nutt007

Guys, the tank is cycling. Nitrates and Ammonia were pretty low. Ammonia was a 0.2, or "Caution" is what the test paper called it. And as it turns out, the little bugger, Bloom, might not be sick at all! His activity hasn't gone down a bit! He is still full of personality, and his colors haven't faded at all. As it turns out, he might just have a harmless wart. :/ One thing I did notice, is that there is this white slime floating around his tank when I do water changes. No, it is not poop. His poop is still brown and it isn't stringy, so don't start suggesting internal parasites.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #35 
cjayBetta

@FuulieQ Love that fishy in your Picture!
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #36 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutt007 View Post
Guys, the tank is cycling. Nitrates and Ammonia were pretty low. Ammonia was a 0.2, or "Caution" is what the test paper called it. And as it turns out, the little bugger, Bloom, might not be sick at all! His activity hasn't gone down a bit! He is still full of personality, and his colors haven't faded at all. As it turns out, he might just have a harmless wart. :/ One thing I did notice, is that there is this white slime floating around his tank when I do water changes. No, it is not poop. His poop is still brown and it isn't stringy, so don't start suggesting internal parasites.
Is the slime stuff kind of greasy looking? Does it start off as a film on the water's surface?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #37 
Nutt007

It just floats around the tank, but there is a little bit of clear film. It certainly FEELS greasy, and it seems to have disappeared after last water change. It only appeared yesterday and the day before. :/
Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #38 
turtle10

I used to have that same problem when I had Turtle. I could never figure out what it was though.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #39 
cjayBetta

That happened to chewie's tank once... once i cleaned it it didnt happen again.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote