Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #1 
gubos2011

help! betta fish is dying

I've had my betta for about a year now and he's not doing so well. He's curled up in a little ball and won't eat. He doesn't have any white spots or fungus that I can see. He had some fin rot a few months back but was healing nicely. I don't know what to do. He's unable to swim to the top of his tank for air so I duck-taped a soup ladle to hold him near the surface. His water is at 78 degrees. I change the water once every week and a half. He eats blood worms and I put beta fix conditioner in ever time I change the water. Please give me some ideas to help him!
gubos2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta is not well...have a few questions....

How big is the tank, filtration, live plants any other additives use or treatment/medication used
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #3 
Nutt007

Quote:
beta fix
There's your problem, Bettafix and Melafix have oils in them that wreak havoc on the Betta's Labyrinth organ, the organ that allows them to breathe from the surface. You should use Aquarium Salt. Also, what size is the tank?
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #4 
gubos2011

One gallon tank. Has plastic plants and oxygen. I also put 3 grams of salt in his tank when I change his water.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

In a 1gal with a filter with long term salt and water changes every week to week in half...in the amount of?

It sounds like water quality issue compounded with kidney damage.....I would start some 25% daily water changes, lower the water level to about 2 inches and cover the top of the tank with plastic veggie wrap to keep the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ...at this point I would even go as far as starting an Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) 2tsp/gal and tannins on him or if you have a small container you can put him in that can float in the heated tank that would work too...it wouldn't hurt... turn off the filter and light to provide a dark quiet place.....sadly it doesn't sound good....if he seem to be suffering and doesn't improve within a day or so with the Epsom salt treatment and tannins...you may need to do what is right by him.....but don't give up too soon....curled up in a ball and not eating after multi health issues and poor water quality.....sometimes can shorten their lifespan......sorry.....
Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #6 
gubos2011

Thanks for your suggestions

Have been following all of your suggestions. He still looks pretty rough. He's having a really hard time staying upright and mostly lays on his side or back. Is this the end?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Did you start him on Epsom salt 2tsp/gal? and if so...it will take at least 3 days to see any improvement....
Old 02-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #8 
gubos2011

I put him in a smaller tank with 2 inches of water. Used some of his old water and some fresh water mixed with epsom salt. Covered the new tank to keep the air moist. He looks much better. He even turned back for a couple of minutes. Still didn't eat though.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Don't worry about food right now-once he starts to feel better he will start eating...they can go awhile without food...so no worries....

I would start making 100% daily water changes with the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal for at least 10 days....

Good that you QT him in a smaller container-float this container in the heated tank to maintain a stable water temp of 76-77F-be sure and attach it to the side so it doesn't sink or any of the tank water gets into the QT container and dilute the treatment water and cover the QT with plastic veggie wrap for the warm humid air for the labyrinth organ.

Pre-mix your Epsom salt 2tsp/gal in- clean fresh dechlorinated water in a 1gal jug-this will make the water changes and dosage easier....make sure the pre-mix treatment water is within a couple of degrees in temp of the water he is in so not to cause temp shock when you make the 100% daily water changes-you can also add the tannins to the pre-mix treatment water to steep
Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #10 
gubos2011

Where do I get tannins?