Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Tannins can be from-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf, Indian almond leaf -use one of these tannin sources and add to the pre-mixed treatment water to steep-the longer they steep the more tannins will be released the darker the water the more the Betta will like it

Blackwater extract and even decaf green tea-these will also provide tannins-however, I do not know if they also contain the antibacterial/fungal properties that oak leaf and IAL have-but they will tan the water and this can sometimes be helpful for a stressed fish.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #12 
gubos2011

Question

Found some IAL on ebay. Should be here in a few days. In the meantime, I will keep changing his water. What do you feed your betta?
gubos2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

I make my own food for the staple diet and feed lots of live foods as well but those are mostly seasonal.....when I do feed store bought food to wean the Bettas- I use Ocean Nutrition community formula flake, OSI-RTB (red tiny bits) and Hikari micro wafers to teach them how to eat flakes and pellets....You should make a new thread asking about Betta foods....lots of different brands...

Good that you found IAL-these are good to have on hand when you keep Bettas...I use Oak leaf but that is only because they are Free from my trees and 99% the same as IAL...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote