Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #1 
noahk11

Question How is it less maintence with a bigger tank?

The title states the question. Lots of people say it how is that true?
noahk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #2 
alysalouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahk11 View Post
The title states the question. Lots of people say it how is that true?

Well for example
A 5 gallon tank can cycle, so there for if having a filter on it and its already cycled, then you only have to do a water change once a week

A 1 gallon on the other hand cant cycle, so a filter would be pointless, so you would have to do 2 50% water changes a week and 1 100% water change a week

Correct me if im wrong on anything
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #3 
dannycastillo

My theory is that a bigger tank requires less maintenance because it takes longer for larger amounts of ammonia to develop. That's just my guess.
dannycastillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

alysalouise is absolutely correct. Anything that is 5+ gallons can cycle and requires less changes to keep the water quality good.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #5 
noahk11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysalouise View Post
Well for example
A 5 gallon tank can cycle, so there for if having a filter on it and its already cycled, then you only have to do a water change once a week

A 1 gallon on the other hand cant cycle, so a filter would be pointless, so you would have to do 2 50% water changes a week and 1 100% water change a week

Explain cycling :D
Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

A simple way of describing cycling.... Fish give off ammonia--which is toxic to them. This stuff called Nitrites eats ammonia, but is still toxic to fish, but then, nitrates eat the nitrites...and nitrates are far less damaging to a fish. So there is a balance. The ammonia is eaten away by the nitrites and then those are eaten by the nitrates...meaning fewer water changes :)

Bigger tanks also are more stable temp wise, so you won't deal with fluctuating temperatures as much. If your heater gets too hot, the fish can escape to the cool end of the tank.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #7 
noahk11

How often do you have to change a 10gl? Also could i use my 25 watt heater in a 10gl?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #8 
HatsuneMiku

in my 10g i change 25% a week .. mostly to get off that protein stuff on the top .. and once a month i do a gravel stir siphon thing

and i wouldn't use a smaller wattage heater in the 10g .. it could cause it to over heat .. since it would take a lot more time and energy for it to heat 10g .. generally you want 5watt per gallon minimum .. so a 10g tank needs 50watt heater .. u can put a bigger watt heater into a smaller tank .. but not a smaller watt heater into a bigger tank ^_^ if that makes sense

bigger tank does make a big difference .. in my 20g .. i do a 35% water change like once a month .. everything is stabilized in there

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 11-02-2011 at 12:27 AM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #9 
cajunamy
Banned

more water = more dilution of the bad stuff fish give off - ammonia.

imagine the nitrogen cycle as a circle - fish excrete ammonia through gills and bodily fluids; bacteria need time to build up to eat the ammonia which converts to nitrites, new bacteria move in to eat nitrites convering to nitrates which is much less toxic to fish. nitrates are removed by water changes and/or natural plants (you'd need alot to do much good though)

it takes usually a good month to get the cycle going and established. once established, all those good bacteria take care of the ammonia/nitrites almost immediately. you change the water once a week to get rid of nitrates, which when built up over 40 ppm is toxic to fish.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #10 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysalouise View Post
In anything under 5g unfiltered you would be doing 1 50% and 1 100% per week, if it is filtered, you would be doing 1 50% per week, and no 100% as you don't want to do full water changes on anything filtered.

5g+ unfiltered you would be doing 1 50% per week and 1 100% per month, filtered you would do 1 30-50% per week.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote