Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #11 
kfish

:( :( :(

Tailbiting is a real beast to figure out... Do you have an airstone lying around? Sometimes they like to play in the bubbles for a little bit. Maybe that will give him a bit of entertainment and distraction... I wouldn't leave it in there overnight or anything, though. Just for like 15-30 minutes. And of course, if he looks stressed out by it, then take it out.

My fish likes to swim through the bubbles and pop them, especially if some of them accumulate under his bridge.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #12 
Goomba3

Oh no! I don't have any good tips for tailbiting, none of my bettas have had that problem. But I do hope he gets better and his tail starts to grow back.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #13 
bettamaniac

just out of curiosity how do you type 89 when you mean to type 78 also 89 is way to warm for any fish species (fresh and saltwater) to be kept in for an extended period of time
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #14 
cjayBetta

Try putting a mirror in front of his tank to entertain him? Or buy him a new Decoration?
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #15 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettamaniac View Post
just out of curiosity how do you type 89 when you mean to type 78 also 89 is way to warm for any fish species (fresh and saltwater) to be kept in for an extended period of time
7 and 8 and 8 and 9 are RIGHT NEXT to each other. It's REALLY easy to accidentally type the wrong one if you position your hands on the keyboard incorrectly.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #16 
kfish

One space over on the numbers... and bam, you get 89.

78 89 78 89. Type it a few times. :P
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #17 
FishyFriend1

haha, thanks guys, i have strep throat so im not feeling so hot...... and not thinking.

his tail seems to be getting worse. the day i took pictures his tail looked like he couldn't bite anymore. but now its gone ragged with little pieces missing. today is water change day, so i might add some salt
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #18 
danifacetastic

Adding salt would probably be a good idea. Just make sure it's aquarium salt and that you dissolve it in the clean water BEFORE putting it into the tank cause the crystals could hurt your betta.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #19 
fleetfish

As suggested just try a bunch of different things. Tailbiting is a tough thing to cure but it can be done, don't give up!

Try feeding him different foods, playing with him, moving his decor and getting new things. It could be something as simple as turning off the tank light. If you see him trying to bite his fins just try to distract him.

Meanwhile if you can get some Black Water Extract you could add it to his water along with the aquarium salt to give him a darker and more natural environment. It will encourage fin growth, lower the PH, and prevent infection. Varying his diet a little more and adding some frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp will give him some stimulation (hunting for brineshrimp, oh boy!) and keep him from his tail.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #20 
FishyFriend1

where can i get black water extract? Petsmart?
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote