Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #1 
Fishyneedshelp

Thumbs down Help please

Hey,

My betta fish named Fishy is sick
I have had him for about a year and he has gone through short spells of constipation etc, but now I dont know whats wrong with him or how to help.

He is bloated, not terribly but more than i have ever seen him bloated before.

He is not pooping so at first i thought it was constipation. I always fast him for one day a week but since he was bloated I fasted him for two more days at which point i tried feed him and he spit it out. The next day I tried to give him a pea. He only ate a tiny bit of the pea as it kept immediantly sinking to the bottom, but the next day he ate food normally. Today I have fed him but he seems a little more jittery and is not reacting to my face or finger as much.

He is bloated, and has two spots on the bloated belly that look like a little bit of his stress coat may be coming off from what i read about other bettas that had white skin looking stuff on him.

I thought that he may be stressed because I forgot to give him a water change for a few days to long, but the problem has persisted too long. His water is too cold, but I am trying to gently warm it up (he is in a 2.5 gallon vase so I dont want to push it).

I am extremely worried please help.

I feed him pellets so I didnt think it was fungus or bacteria, and I also put a little aquarium salt in his bowl.

Desperate thanks,
Fish lover
Fishyneedshelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #2 
turtle10

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #3 
Fishyneedshelp

Like I said I have had him for a bout a year and I dont know how old he was when I got him

His bowl which is about 2.5 gallons is not heated or filtered as it is so small.

He has aquarium rocks and a fake plant in his bowl

I clean it once a week

I have tested it with an at home test and everything seems okay although I am not sure about nitrate and nitrite because my strip did not really match up with any of the colors on the guide. However, I have tested it before when he was healthy and the results are similar.

Like i said his condition has not changed he is still bloated with no poop and two cottony skin patches, but he has become a little bit more lethargic.

I try to keep his bowl as warm as possible at around 72 degrees, but as it is winter and I live in a dorm where I dont control the heat, and his bowl is too small to put a heater in...

I feed him pellets, I dont dabble in live or frozen blood worms (not for me). I usually feed him about three pellets once a day but fast him on saturdays.

My fish started showing sympotms last saturday.

Like i said, I tried to treat him with a pea
Old 02-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #4 
turtle10

What do you mean by "clean"?It would be very helpful if you could answer most of the questions:

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Also, 72 is waaay too cold for a betta! And they do have filters and heaters for 2.5, they even have filters and heaters for one gallon bowls.

Did you just put the whole pea in there?

Last edited by turtle10; 02-03-2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #5 
turtle10

Also the test strips are not reliable.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #6 
Fishyneedshelp

Okay,
I know its too cold but theres nothing I can do literally. I sit him near a lamp all day.
No I defrosted the pea took, the skin off, took tiny bits of the mushed peas and tried to float it in the water

LIKE i said I do a water change ONCE a week, a full water change because he is in a small bowl

and no the way the bowl is shaped tall and narrowish a heater would take up the whole bowl (trust me Ive done my research). and as this is the first winter i have been with him in a dorm we are still trying to work out the kinks.

I put water conditioner in it that is also supposed to help with stress coat, and like i said aquarium salt.

AND as i am not a chemist I really do not know of another way to test the water than to just use the at home test strips provided in pet stores. IF you have an suggestions I would be greatful.

HOWEVER, I would really appreciate some possible advise or any ideas about what could be ailing him.

I REALLY think i have answered all your questions now, but if you have any others that will help you help me please let me know because I NEED to figure this out and help him pronto.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #7 
Fishyneedshelp

PLUS he has been fine until last saturday and it was 65 degrees here all last week.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #8 
kfish

Your fish can get fungus and bacteria even without live or frozen foods. It's internal parasites you can prevent (still, not always) by feeding only pellets and freeze dried food.

Cottony patches sounds like fungus. Your fish becomes more susceptible to infections/fungus/etc. when temperature is low and water conditions are poor. Your fish is immune compromised because he is cold.

Your water change schedule is decent, however, it doesn't leave you leeway if you are a few days late. Especially with your fish being sick, I would increase the water changes. I'd do at least 2 100% changes per week, 50% some days in between since he's sick (1 50%, 1 100% per week when not sick is recommended for 2.5 gallons).

Your fish will never fight off his infection if he is cold. I promise you that you can find a heater that fits if you look online.

Here's a few shapes that would work for your tank, all of which people on this forum have used and liked:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-A.../dp/B0006JLPFE

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Sha.../dp/B00176DUEY

http://www.petco.com/product/114078/...:referralID=NA (I personally have this one for a tank at home (not my betta)... it's 50 W, but people on this forum have used it for 2.5 gallon tanks just fine).

Essentially, you're looking for something between 7.5-25 watts. Watch the temperature after adding a heater to make sure the tank isn't over heating. You also don't want the temperature to rise too fast (1-2 degrees per hour is okay). Temperature should stay in the range of 77-81 degrees, and should not fluctuate.

Adding aquarium salt at 1 tsp/gallon may also help your fish heal. It's easy to pre-mix it in a 1 gallon jug (like one that held drinking water).

Often, fish can fight off their own infections with a little help. Warm water and aquarium salt will help him out. However, you do not want to treat with salt for more than 10 days at a time. It can cause organ failure after long exposure.

Last edited by kfish; 02-03-2011 at 02:49 PM.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #9 
Fishyneedshelp

Thank you!

Thank you for your help! should I get him some medicine or will the water changes and heat be enough?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #10 
kfish

It may or may not be enough.

If you want, you can get some Jungle Fungus Clear. I think even Wal-Mart carries it. It's pretty widely distributed. If it's fungus or bacteria (columnaris, perhaps) it should help with it.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote