Gertrude's velvet is almost completely gone! In the last two days I could see the 'gold dust' literally shed right off of her. This is what she looks like as of right now:
As you can see her deep red is shining through as most of the parasite is gone. Still a few fuzzy patches, but they are clearly dying off. And no more clamped fins. She looks much, much better.
I ended up doing a combination of the salt, blackout, and medication. This was my technique (for her 1 gallon, unfiltered, and unheated QT tank):
- 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 1 gallon of water
- 80% water change every two days (and replaced lost salt)
- Kept her tank under a towel to keep it dark. I had a small opening where she could see through the towel and into the room (I think she's a tad afraid of the dark, lol)
- Thermometer recorded tank temp as a stable 84-82 degrees (it was hot here this week)
- Treated water with API Super Ick Cure - 1ml per 1 gallon. The back of the bottle does say it 'parasitic diseases', so I did hope it would work on velvet (and since most of the treatments for velvet seem to be the same for ick, I figured why not?). Well it looked like this really did the trick for poor Ger, so I'd recommend it.
I'm so thankful for all of the advice and actually amazed to see results in just a few days. Her velvet was so progressed (covering her eyes, even) that I was afraid I might lose her. She's a real fighter, though. I'm going to do a 100% water change today and skip the salt, but continue the medication and blackout. This weekend is supposed to be cooler and her tank is now 80 degrees, so hopefully she'll be more comfortable and the parasite won't make a comeback. We'll see.
Thanks again so much! You guys are the best!