Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #1 
CasGer

Velvet/Ick, Help!

My female betta has developed a severe greenish-yellowish sheen over her body in the past few days. I was worried at first, but my father (a fish enthusiast) said I was just being paranoid. Turns out he knows jack-crap about bettas, because come a week later, she is COVERED in this yellow coat, eyes included. Needless to say I am royally POed at my father, and need help fast!

I've put her in a 1 gal QT tank with about .5 tp of aquarium salt. What I want to know is if I should treat her with Potassium Permanganate, and where I can get it? The nearest petstore (Petco, Petsmart, etc.) is half an hour away and I could not find PP when doing an online search for it on their websites.

Although she is swimming around normally, I'm distraught over her condition. Any help, and fast, would be tremendously appreciated!
CasGer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #2 
SiameseFightingArt

PP is very hard to find (I was told this). You could try finding it somewhere else thats not Petsmart or Petco, but be careful with it! It's very toxic to Betta Fish!
SiameseFightingArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #3 
CasGer

Thanks for responding. Is there any other effective treatment I can use aside from aquarium salt, then? I've read that a lot of people seem to have trouble getting any real results from typical ick/velvet medication... I'm worried that with how progressed her condition is, she might not make it...
Old 06-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #4 
CasGer

Here are two pictures so that (hopefully) someone may be able to confirm my diagnosis of velvet...

These first two are of Gertrude when she was healthy, with her normal coloring:

... and these second two are of her now. Clamped fins and a greenish-yellow powder-like sheen covering most of her body.

Right now I still have her in her QT tank treated with clean water and aquarium salt. I put a large, smooth stone in there for her to rub on if she gets itchy (although she hasn't shown any signs of itching. I just want her to be comfortable). She is still eating normally. Is there anything else I can do, and can she recover from this?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #5 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Velvet usually takes a stronger measure than just salt to get rid of it, the two methods are either to get a fish medication designed to target velvet (most general cures will, check the packaging to find out) or to undergo the blackout method.

To do this you put the fish somewhere extremely dark like a cupboard and crank up their tank temps to between 82/86 degrees. This starves the velvet of its food source (light) and makes t too hot to breed. Continue for two to three weeks to kill off the velvet.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #6 
CasGer

Thank you Taeanna!

I went and bought this medication for her. I want to be really aggressive in fighting this parasite, so I figure I can maybe try a combination of medication, salt, and the blackout technique?

Anyway, this is the medication:

API Super Ick Cure - it was the only fish medication my local pet store carried. I figured since Ick and Velvet are so similar and usually have the same treatment, this should work.

My question is this: the directions make no mention of how to treat in an unfiltered tank, so I was wondering if it was possible at all? The QT Gertrude is in is essentially a giant glass jar without a filter or heater. I do have a tank with a filter she can use, however the pump for it has proven in the past to be too strong, and my fish always look distraught when I would turn it on.

Should I move her into a strongly filtered 2.5 gallon tank so I can begin the medicated treatment, or is it better to just keep her comfortable and continue salt/blackout? Sorry for so many questions, I'm a novice owner and I just really love this fish!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #7 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I am pretty sure that this treatment will not work on her I am afraid, the active ingredients are used to target the wrong breed of parasite. If you wish you can add it and hope but this is your personal choice to make.
I recommend going ahead with the blackout technique for now. The salt is not necessary during treatment because by raising the temp you will be speeding the life cycle, just remember to watch your betta for signs of heat stress and acclimate them carefully to the light when they are done treating.
Also remember to leave a window if you do- salt can't be used for more than 10 to 14 days without needing to remove it and let the fish's kidneys rest.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #8 
CasGer

UPDATE:

Gertrude's velvet is almost completely gone! In the last two days I could see the 'gold dust' literally shed right off of her. This is what she looks like as of right now:

As you can see her deep red is shining through as most of the parasite is gone. Still a few fuzzy patches, but they are clearly dying off. And no more clamped fins. She looks much, much better.

I ended up doing a combination of the salt, blackout, and medication. This was my technique (for her 1 gallon, unfiltered, and unheated QT tank):
- 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 1 gallon of water

- 80% water change every two days (and replaced lost salt)

- Kept her tank under a towel to keep it dark. I had a small opening where she could see through the towel and into the room (I think she's a tad afraid of the dark, lol)

- Thermometer recorded tank temp as a stable 84-82 degrees (it was hot here this week)

- Treated water with API Super Ick Cure - 1ml per 1 gallon. The back of the bottle does say it 'parasitic diseases', so I did hope it would work on velvet (and since most of the treatments for velvet seem to be the same for ick, I figured why not?). Well it looked like this really did the trick for poor Ger, so I'd recommend it.

I'm so thankful for all of the advice and actually amazed to see results in just a few days. Her velvet was so progressed (covering her eyes, even) that I was afraid I might lose her. She's a real fighter, though. I'm going to do a 100% water change today and skip the salt, but continue the medication and blackout. This weekend is supposed to be cooler and her tank is now 80 degrees, so hopefully she'll be more comfortable and the parasite won't make a comeback. We'll see.

Thanks again so much! You guys are the best!
Old 06-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #9 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I'm glad to see her doing so well, she is lucky to have such a determined parent!

She's a gorgeous girl by the way, love her little black lace border