Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #21 
jschristian44

thanks bettalover, thats what ive been reading to let him take out his aggressiveness on a male. i bet if i did that, he would cut back on the female and she would let him spawn. but i just think he is way too aggressive and thats why this didnt work out.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #22 
jschristian44

he might also be too large for her... he is about 3 inches and shes just about 2 inches. is this normal or do you think shes too small?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #23 
MrVampire181

Veil tails....not an in demand fish. VTs are things of the past...pretty in their own right...but they are also not sanctioned in the IBC.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #24 
jschristian44

well i really liked my veil tail. i dont like male crowntails. male halfmoons are very very pretty, but i like veil tails second. my guess is halfmoons are the in demand right?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #25 
MrVampire181

Yup and are heavily preferred by judges...I suggest you join the IBC.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #26 
jschristian44

ah yes the IBC. that is a very nice site.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #27 
1fish2fish

Ugh... Ok.. this is going to be long.

First off.. your breeding VT. This means all your babies will be VT. VT are NOT in demand so you'll have a hard time placing them, even on craigslist, even for dirt cheap. Just keep that in mind.

The reason your female got attacked is because you threw her straight into the tank without properly introducing her. First of all you are introducing the female into a tank that the male already lives in so he is going to defend his territory. This is going to make him even more aggressive than it would if you had introduced the pair in a proper spawning tank. This is why most breeders have a separate spawning tank and then have two other tanks that the male and female live in the rest of the time. Second of all you didn't leave her in the hurricane glass long enough. The male should be going back and forth between nest sites and flirting with the female. He should be flaring for her but not trying to attack her.. there is a big difference. After they've gotten a chance to get to know each other you can let her out while the male is not looking so at first he doesn't know she's loose. Make sure there is a LOT of cover in the tank so she can hide properly. Here is a picture of one of my old spawning tanks that is similar to your set up.. notice how much java moss I have. This enables the female to hide easily from the male so he cannot find her and will stop chasing her.

In my opinion it is better to not condition them together. I prefer to only let them see each other for the last couple of days before you introduce them. My reasoning behind this is because the female might become ready too quickly and release her eggs in her jar causing you to have to re-condition all over again. Of course everyone has their own methods they use but this seems to be pretty popular among breeders.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #28 
jschristian44

the IBC. i should have just let them go, but i didnt want my female to get seriously hurt. i mean if the male continued his bubble nest when she was in there while he was chasing her, i would have let her in a little longer, but it seemed he just wanted to nip the crap outta her fins all the time relentlessly. but heres what i got from IBC.

Courtship process

Ok so you release the female and now your male is deciding he wants to kill her. Yup so now he's chasing her around the tank and nipping at her fins. Now she's looking for a place to hide, usually behind the filter, heater, plastic plants, live plants, and the java moss you put in the tank. She may hide for days at a time. In the meantime your male should be working on his nest.

the videos on youtube from IBC helped me so much when i first saw them. MrVampire is that you doing those videos? id assume you were a man since the Mr part, but maybe you like edward or something from twilight.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #29 
BettaLover101

No offence to the member of IBC or the people who follow all their guidelines but I really don't see the need to join this group. Yes, some of the top breeders are on that site but not everybody is a top breeder just yet. When members first start out with breeding bettas I think that as long as they have done a ton of research and know people and places that will take their fry then why should just help them with whatever extra questions they have to end up with a successful spawn.

When people first start breeding they aren't necessarily looking to make a ton of cash from their spawn so what does it matter if they choose to breed veiltails or halfmoons?

So, with that out of the way, I would say to do what you want and breed whatever type and colour of bettas that you want because you are just looking for that experience not just seeing the fish as items to make prophet.

I'm sorry if this seems rude or offencive to any people, I am only speaking my mind and trying to stop the discouragement of breeding veiltails.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #30 
jschristian44

ah 1fish2fish you really shed some light for me tonight. that java moss looks excelent for hiding spots. how expensive is that stuff? that stuff should hide my heater pretty well too.

anyways, heres all the photos i took today of their new homes for the time being until i can get this situated out. honestly, i think if i had just a little better hiding spots for the female and left them in longer, they would have spawned. but i am also now double guessing if i have room for them all after seeing a youtube video of a spawn going nuts over a piece of food. it was like a swarm of bees.

for now im comfortable with my setup: