Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #31 
jschristian44

bettalover that is really true. there are like 300 auctions for halfmoons on aquabid and only like 50 for veil tails. this makes me think if i breed veil tails, maybe more people would want them instead of the huge array of halfmoons. sure halfmoons like really pretty with their huge fanned fins, but i still like veil tails. it makes the fish look like half horse tail and half fish. thats why i picked out this fish at walmart. i originally just wanted a fish at walmart to put in this decorative item but then i saw the colors and really pretty horse tail on this fish and got it. who knew it would lead to all this! but i am really happy with my setups, check out the pic.

as for breeding, im going to hold off on it for a while. at least for another 2 months. this way i will have a much better understanding what the heck im doing plus give the fish time to rest.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #32 
jschristian44

doesnt my female look full of eggs in that picture. her belly is all white and that pretzel salt thing is coming from her belly. of course you guys say its present on all females, but this one is really coming out. i think shes ready to breed. i also saw the vertical stripes when i had her inside the hurricane glass. now the vertical stripes are no longer there because i moved her away from the male.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #33 
MrVampire181

THAT is your spawning tank??????????? *facepalm*
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #34 
dramaqueen
Banned

Is that last pic your breeding tank?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #35 
MrVampire181

There's a reason no one breeds VTs...THEY ARE NOT IN DEMAND. Unless the IBC sanctions them again they won't be in demand online.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #36 
1fish2fish

So your okay with creating possibly 100+ lives when it is very possible that very few people will want them? I don't know about where you live but here people aren't breaking down petsmarts door to get VT and they sure aren't looking for them on craigslist. The VT section of aquabid is a joke. Sure most new breeders aren't going to end up with more than 20 or so fry but even those will be hard to place. Not to mention few people want to pay $15-30 shipping for a fish they can pick up in a local pet store for $5

I'm not against people breeding VT as long as they aren't under the delusion their fry will be in high demand. When spawn threads start everyone always says "Ooh hold out one of those babies for me"... somehow 3 months down the road they seem to have forgotten that. You can't rely on anyone to take your babies, even more so with undesired tail types and colors. If your ok with that or don't have any scruples about handing your fry over to a pet store than breeding VT is just fine.

As for the IBC.. it's more than just breeders. Its also about educating the younger generations on bettas in general. You can learn a lot about treating diseases, food, care, history, behavior, genetics, and all other manner of things from people who have been in the game for a long time... like 30+ years long. It's also about re-creating lost colors and even lost tail types. IBC breeders won't begrudge you for breeding VT as long as you realize that they are not popular and they are not showing signs of re-gaining popularity any time soon. The IBC also is working to save and describe wild species of bettas and working to get people breeding those species who are becoming endangered because of habitat loss.

Edit ^^^ that was directed towards Bettalover101s post.

JC.. java moss is usually pretty inexpensive. I can't see your pictures so I can't comment on your spawning set up. If you could upload them to a photobucket or flickr I will comment.

Last edited by 1fish2fish; 02-03-2011 at 08:05 PM.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #37 
jschristian44

lol, it WAS my spawning tank yes. i had the water level down to 5 inches, no substrate, 2 amazon swords, a bunch of pvc pipes, the heater, the filter, and no squidward. trust me it was a good spawning tank. the female hid in the plants and the heater the entire time. she found good hiding spots but the male was just being way too rough, because i didnt leave her in the hurricane long enough i dont think. im too impatient. and im learning that is causing nothing but heartache, so im putting this off until the beginning of April.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #38 
jschristian44

this thread has officially begun derailed again. time to move on. i think i got all the info i need.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #39 
bettafish15

Just because you like the veiltales, doesnt mean the public wants them, which means finding homes will be VERY hard. At least order a male halfmoon. I dont think you have all the info you need, since your even considering breeding a VT to a HM. No offence, I'm not trying to be mean, no one here is, we just want to help, but your not really listening.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #40 
BettaLover101

actually people in the world do want them. if you can sell your veiltails to local pet stores then they will sell them to their customes and most customers buying bettas arent interested in the tail type they just love the colours or their kids want a fish and this is the first type that comes to mind so yes there are people who will buy her veiltails and no the entire population of people buying bettas does not exist on sites such as aquabid so let this member breed whatever fish they choose, it is their first time after all and everybody here seems to be ruining this experience for them.

So, to jschristian44, have fun breeding your veiltails and I'm glad we were able to help you. Happy breeding! :)
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote