Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #41 
jschristian44

well heres the deal. i posted a listing on craigslist posting that free babies from the offspring of these parents and i have pictures of my bettas. i already got 4 emails within the hour saying people want them. and one email might even take them all from me, so thats pretty cool. im still deciding on what to do though. but see, i told you finding homes is the least of my worries.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #42 
turtle10

A bit off topic, but does the female look bloated or is it just me?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #43 
Oldfishlady

Unless you are IBC oriented and want to show your fish...I have found a great demand for not just VT but unique crosses....I can't keep up with demand and I sell well over 500 Bettas a year.....more people seem to want a unique Betta and have zero interest in showing their unique wet-pet that has no standard in the IBC....more people seem to want a pet and not a show fish

Without the VT we would not have the ever popular HM today...VT is the grandfather of domesticated Bettas....if we lose the VT we could lose a lot of hobbyist that often get their start in Bettas with the VT.... and then they move on to other tails types and then to the IBC and Betta showing....

Without the brave people that took the chance and crossed tail types....we wouldn't have some of the tail types we enjoy today...like the HM.....

When lt boils down....spawning fish is just another aspect in this hobby and to discourage a person from experimenting with tail types is doing a dis-service to the species....you are correct....IBC does not have a standard for the ever popular VT...once the most popular tail type...the only tail type for many years when it was first domesticated.....its sad that the VT is being tossed to the side when it was what made this species so popular to start........the grandfather of the Betta splendens.....

Although IBC members will disagree.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #44 
BettaLover101

Well said OFL. :)
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #45 
turtle10

@ Oldfishlady

So true. I don't think it matters what he breeds together, all that matters is that he does it the safe and right way.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #46 
jschristian44

dont worry i will do more research before i try it again. but as for homes, i can easily find them homes thats nothing im worried about at all. like i said for most people that would be a problem, but i have good ways on selling them for free or for a cheap profit to start. and oldfishlady, well, well said.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #47 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you aren't planning on showing then IBC standards don't mean anything to the hobbyist who just wants a pet.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #48 
FloridaBettas239

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
sigh thats not what i read and what people told me. here we go again with the mixed info. guys, i cant do this if your gonna give me mixed info all the time, please stop! so frustrating!

This is why I tell everyone, If you want the facts, Go to a respected betta breeding site and get your info. There is multiple ways to breed, You have to pick what works for you. The message boards and forums are for asking some small questions here or there, or asking or getting answered a small question. If you ask how to breed on here, a lot of the people are going to say, well I do this and I do that. This is what works for me.! Or in my opinion this is bla bla bla. This gets all kinds of confused people.
Some people would even go as far to say, don't have him in the tank he is going to breed in, until your ready for him to blow a nest.
Plain and simple, they are betta fish not a saltwater fish. It's not rocket science, there's some black and white guidelines, follow them and then tweak them to suit your breeding style and method.
As for the male going all out on the female.!! I have actually had to put another male in the tank, with the female removed at this point, anyway I have had to put another male in the tank and let them flare and nip and fight a little, then he is not aggressive towards the female when I put her back.
And then also when conditioning them, you will be able to tell when she is ready, the ways you stated above and also, my favorite one.! When he is blowing his nest and swims over to flare at her, and she flares back at him, Like bring it.!!! Then I let them together and in a day there going at it..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #49 
FloridaBettas239

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
If you aren't planning on showing then IBC standards don't mean anything to the hobbyist who just wants a pet.

The IBC standards should mean something to you, even if your just a pet owner.!
The reason I say this is, Just because someone is going to be a dog owner, not a breeder, They shouldn't worry about Akc standards. Because a lot of people I no that just buy dogs not breed. Always want a dog with papers.. It's more professional and it is showing you care about that breed of the animal.!
Same thing goes with bettas, if your going to keep a pet, I want to better the breed or just have a decent fish, then I look for IBC standards in the fish. Even if you don't plan to breed, in case it happens down the road, You are putting out quality bettas and helping to better the breed, not set it back.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #50 
FloridaBettas239

And when you say a IBC quality betta does not mean, you have to show it or it's for show. It is just a really good genetic background beta. That you can just have as a pet or sky the limit.
But I will tell you when you breed a pair of IBC bettas and look at the offspring and then compare them to the offspring of the betta in a cup/store bought. The IBC betta makes some awesome, I mean one of a kind bettas. With great finage.
When breeding regular bettas, it sets you back, It takes years to get to the level of the IBC bettas for sale, if you ever reach that level. Or you buy some IBC bettas and you have a good start..