Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #1 
Crazykat

Letting water sit out...Myth?

I was talking to a long time fish owner yesterday, and she said that the tradition of letting water sit out for 24hrs wasn't just to get rid of chlorine (which it doesn't really do), but to let compressed gas in the water air out so the fish wouldn't get gas bubble disease. Is that correct? And if so, does water conditioner have any affect on these gases?
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

No offense to you but I need to rant a bit...

That rule is dead and gone. 24 hours gets rid of chlorine, but chloramine remains in the water. Water conditioner is a must unless you get really clean, non polluted rain water, or well water.

End rant.

Basically, 24 hours is just to have chlorine evaporate. Nothing else. Water conditioner must be used.

If he refers to bubbles that form on the tanks... I've never noticed harm. I use a "python" siphon so I put fresh tap water right back into my tanks and then add dechlor.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #3 
Zero186

The only time I let my water sit for any amount of time is when using salt.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #4 
Crazykat

Yeah, I get the chlorine/chloramine concept. I feel your frustration, I've tried to correct as many people as I can who are in favor of using this method over a conditioner. That's actually how the topic came up. I was asking my friend if she knew that the 24 hr, loss of chlorine rule was a myth and she sprang the gas bubble disease thing on me. I am finding sources for gas bubble disease, so that is a real disease. This seems to agree with my friend:
http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=37421

But a lot of the other cases seem to be in filtration systems that are over saturating the water with oxygen.

The reason I'm interested in this is because about a year ago, I got some cories, which were slowly acclimated to conditioned, heated tap water. They formed bubbles around the gills, got pop eyes, and died, despite all my efforts. I'm wondering if this is what happened. I've never had a problem at school, but my tap water at home comes out white at first because of all of the bubbles. If this is really a thing, I want to know before I bring my bettas home over the summer, so I can get my parents to set out some water before I get there.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #5 
Tamyu

I have always heard that it was for the pH to stabilize...

I have found that bubbles form or don't form just as commonly with or without aging. I think that the way I pour the water in has a much greater effect - quickly pouring it in will have bubbles, carefully pouring will not.

I do frequent enough changes that I don't think the slight change in pH is going to have any effect. If I were changing pH for my fish, however, I would probably be more careful and check it after aging.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

I'm fairly sure that those gas bubbles will go away if you stir your water or pour it slowly anyway. I scoop my water from a bucket into a jug and pour it really slowly from there so as not to disturb my plants, and I have never seen any gas bubbles.

Another problem with leaving it is that is cools to room temperature - I like to run it at 80 degrees so I can add it to my tank at the right temperature.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #7 
mcturtle

Speaking from past tragedy, it is important to let your water sit to release gas. This is especially important if your water comes out of the tap under high pressure. If those little bubbles form in the tank they can basically gas your betta to death. The water conditioner is necessary to remove chlorine/chloramine, but water with a lot of air in it needs to sit for a bit to remove the gas. I find an hour will usually do it, but I leave my water overnight anyway.
mcturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #8 
MadameDesu

I would think it depends on your water source. The water I use at school leaves a few bubbles which aren't really an issue. Rosie enjoys popping them, actually.
The water I use from home, however, is different because I get it from our utility sink, which is basically bubble overkill. Now that I think of it, I should really find another water source at home, hahahaha. But at school, I use the same method as MrV, siphoning the old out and then using the siphon to put new water in.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

We use our water right from the tap, add conditioner and into the tank. I have never, in the last year, let water sit. I have cats, a dog and two toddlers... my bucket would have dinkies, cat hair, cat litter and half a PB&J sammich if I left it for more than 15mins LOL I have noticed no ill effects with my fish, and most of mine have passed from issues they came home with.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #10 
Crazykat

Well, I think I'm going to be safe and have my parents set some water out the night before. Like I said, my water comes out white there are so many bubbles, and I have had that past issue with the cories.
It seems like this might be dependent on where you live/how your water is processed. I'd rather be safe then sorry.