Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Will this ever look okay again??

I'm not expecting perfection. It doesn't need to be back to normal all of the way. But I really want my little Butterfly's fins to get better. Does anyone think that, with a few months of super clean water, tlc and bettafix, this little guy will have decent and full finnage again? He tore his fins on the filter. 2x. The first time took the full top half off, the second time split his dorsal fin and shredded what was left of his bottom fin. I just want his tail to look nice and full. No more raggedy edges, and at least half of his top fin back. Anyone think this is possible? Please be realistic with me? I don't want people to say "Sure, it'll be perfect again" because I honestly don't think that is ever going to happen... :( He is still acting very happy and normal, flaring, eating and sleeping. :) Just your honest opinion. I have to say though, that after 2 days a visible thin transparent little bit of growth is visible...
Attached Images

Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #2 
Nutt007

I wouldn't use Bettafix. I think his fins would grow back, but in a ragged style, like when my fish Bloom was a tailbiter. They are still ragged, after 5 months. But then again, 2 months of pure QT sounds like it will work like a dream.
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

You will definitely see improvement but I don't think they will be perfect again.
One of my little ones lost a lot of fin during a mating and after a couple of months his fins are growing back nicely. He still has a long way to go and his fins were more even than your little guy's but it seems like he will be ok after a while.
Do not use the Bettafix, seems it's not good for bettas. Instead use aquarium salt, that's what I use and it helps a lot.
Be patient, he will heal. Just keep great water parameters and feed high protein food to avoid infections and keep the betta healty.
Best of luck!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #4 
Alex09

I would take out the filter If you havent already. A 1.5 is hard to cycle anyways. His fins will heal but they will not be perfect as before.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #5 
Kestrel

On of my HM bettas lost most of the length on his fins due to a fin nipping tank mate, this was a few months ago, before the end of school. And actually, now that I think about it, it seemed to go really slow but recently I've been noticing a big gain in his fins and I just recently started adding aquarium salt.

They may not be the same or as nice but I bet they will grow back.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #6 
Kestrel

Oh, and I forgot, Alex9 is right. It looks like you have taken it out though. It's strange though because I have that same style of tank and it's not damaged any of my betta's fins. You might be able to put panty hose over the bottom so it can't suck his fins in, but I noticed when I used black panty hose once there were sometimes tiny black specks in places. I don't think it harmed my fish though.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

I have taken the filter out. Now the tank just has a heater, gravel, silk plant and spongebob cave. I am feeding betta pellets and a few freeze-dried bloodworms. I just cleaned the tank 2 days ago, so the water is really clear. I will try to get some aquarium salt ASAP. :) As long as there is hope for big fins again, I will do my best. I don't expect him to ever look the same, but as long as most of the fin grows back I will be satisfied. Thanks guys! Any other suggestions besides aquarium salt?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #8 
Alex09

Dried Indian Almond Leaves, or Oak Leaves. If I recall correctly, OFL said they release tannis into the water which not only promotes healing, and boosts the immune system, but makes bettas much more comfortable (they like murky water).
Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

My water conditioner has some of that as an extract! :)
Old 02-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #10 
Alex09

Probably not enough to be used for medicinal purposes though. Im not sure. You will have to ask OFL.