Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #1 
demonr6

it's gone from bad to worse

We have been treating our Marco for a month and change for SBD. He has been in QT with treatment, daily water changes etc. and he never got fully rid of the bloating. Now the nail in the coffin.. dropsy. We check him daily when performing the water changes to make sure nothing else is going on and today it was there, the beginning signs of it. I am sure the constipation and the inabilty to get everything out of his system brought this secondary condition and we fear that this will be the end for our poor Marco. I have literally spent hours each evening tending to him, getting the water perfect for his changes and doing the best I can and it just wasn't enough. Now we are faced with euthanasia which really really sucks but I don't want to see him suffer. The SBD was one thing but this is too much..
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sadly......Sometimes no matter how well we take care of our Betta or what the treatment.....their system can shut down and not a lot we can do...except for what is right by them....as hard as it can be...sometimes as a hobbyist we have to make hard choices when dealing with live animals.....when we have done all that can be done and they are suffering....we have to make the selfless choice......... euthanasia......is the kindest most humane thing we can do for our suffering wet-pet......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #3 
coolcucumber

I wouldnt euthanize :) Bettas are hardy fish, possibly he can pull through?
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #4 
demonr6

He has been in QT since mid December. We found him one morning bloated and floating on his side. From there he was immediately QT'ed and we began treatment. We then realized he was also constipated and was having trouble pooping. We tried, believe me, OFL helped us greatly and offered advice on numerous occasions. He never got over the bloat and even though as of late he poops some more he is still bloated and the stuff rotting in his tummy has adversely impacted his health.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote