Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #1 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
Angry Why wont my tank cycle!!!!!

Im cycling two 5 gal tanks, and one of them is doing awsome! its already at its peak for nitrite where as my other one is still having no nitrite reading, and the ammonia lvls are still off the charts after like a 60% water change >.< the tank that has gotten no where it is 2 days behind casue i had to replace the filter but still its been like 1 1/2 weeks since and crap all :(
I am doing the pure ammonia method for my cycle and the tank is heated at 89 degrees. Any info would help.
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #2 
leogtr

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherleelee View Post
Im cycling two 5 gal tanks, and one of them is doing awsome! its already at its peak for nitrite where as my other one is still having no nitrite reading, and the ammonia lvls are still off the charts after like a 60% water change >.< the tank that has gotten no where it is 2 days behind casue i had to replace the filter but still its been like 1 1/2 weeks since and crap all :(
I am doing the pure ammonia method for my cycle and the tank is heated at 89 degrees. Any info would help.

hi there!!

get some tetra safestart to speed it up a little bit!
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #3 
ChicagoPete

O.O why do you have the heat up so high!!!!! Your roasting eny bacteria that enters the tank from the air. Turn it down to 82 an see how it goes from there.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #4 
Sherleelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPete View Post
O.O why do you have the heat up so high!!!!! Your roasting eny bacteria that enters the tank from the air. Turn it down to 82 an see how it goes from there.
I was told that keep it that warm so that the bacteria multiplies :)
The other tank is the same temp and is doing awsome, as i said both tanks are getting the exact same treatment just one is being a terd.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #5 
ChicagoPete

hmm strange as it sounds still try for me plz plz plz and bring it down to 82. ^.^
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #6 
Sherleelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPete View Post
hmm strange as it sounds still try for me plz plz plz and bring it down to 82. ^.^
Already did :)
Old 02-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #7 
aeharding

Even keeping the tank in the low 90s is beneficial for bacteria growth. Just bring the tank down 4ish degrees every twelve hours until it's where you want it so that you don't kill the bacteria from temperature fluctuations.
aeharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

Can you give a complete history of what you've done with the tank? any details might help. and if nothing else you could try tossing a few stem plants in there to cut the ammonia down a bit. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #9 
ANHEL123

Just want to say about temperature. My betta perfect even in 72* the higher the temperature the more the bacteria and fungus flourishes.I have 2 bettas in dr office i am working the temperature in the tanks even lower and bettas are 2.7 years old,and never get sick yet :). I know u guys not going to like the temperature parameters but it fact. His 2 bettas well i brought them there they rescue from Walmart in 1 gall for each. I just change 100% every 7 days. I work there every saturday. No filter ,i never even check the water i just put water conditioner. I don't know may be the doctor has some kind of positive energy :)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

@ Anhel We are actually talking about starting up the GOOD bacteria inside of the filter that allows the tank to take care of itself. That might be why the doctor's fish are doing well. This person does not yet have their filter finished and they are working to get the good bacteria established. There is no fish in there yet. Keeping the heat up until the filter is finished cycling (what getting the good bacteria is called) helps. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, tank and tank care