Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #21 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
You will need more than 2-3 lol.
The tank is already pretty crowded with deco, dunno if i could fit more than that,
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #22 
turtle10

Well for the plants to make a difference you will need a lot. If it helps, these are the live plants in my 10 gallon:

12 Anacharis
1 Anubias
1 Vallis
2 Micro Swords
1 Wisteria
1 small hornwort
1 thing I can't remember the name of..
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #23 
wallywestisthebest333

Buy a nice bunch of the CHEAP stem plants like anacharis for the time being and just toss them in there. When they float near the light they should start growing pretty well and you'll have a lot more after a few weeks. =]

If you don't want to keep them and you want your tank to actually filter-cycle then yeah it'll help. =]

I believe your goal is to filter cycle yes?

It might actually take your filter longer to seed itself but it'll make water changes during the cycling process a bit easier on you I think.

I'm not really sure though because as I stated I'm stuffing mine full of plants to avoid cycling! :'D
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #24 
penguin44

Would another shrimp help?
penguin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #25 
leogtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin44 View Post
Hey guys, Im new to this as well. Been trying to cycle fishless with a piece of shrimp. Started Jan 1st. 10 gallon FW with filter and heater. Heat is at 83.
So I got bloom, and then ammo and now its Feb6th and still not seeing anything.
Ammo is 4ppm (down from 5-6ppm last week)
Nitrite is above 0 but below .25 still has a blue hue but not 0.
Nitrate is 0
Ph 7.5
Filter is running.
Nitrite has been at this level since week 2 or so. Any suggestions? More shrimp? Leave it? I don't want to add another if it will raise the ammo to like 8ppm and stall the cycle. I know patience is the key to this. Anything I can do?
you can leave it for now. your tank will show more nitrItes soon, then the ammonia will be gone, then some nitrates and after the nitrItes disappear and you only have nitrates just do a 50% water change and your set for fish!:) are you using a master test kit to measure the parameters?
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #26 
turtle10

A shrimp doesn't do what plants do.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #27 
penguin44

Quote:
Originally Posted by leogtr View Post
you can leave it for now. your tank will show more nitrItes soon, then the ammonia will be gone, then some nitrates and after the nitrItes disappear and you only have nitrates just do a 50% water change and your set for fish!:) are you using a master test kit to measure the parameters?
Yes, API master kit. Makes it feel like science class LOL.

Ok, good thing you said to leave it. I was going to put another shrimp in but didnt think that was a good idea. Thanks, you guys/gals rock. Any idea on a timeframe? I know all cycles are different. I mean i am at 4 1/2 weeks.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #28 
kfish

It took me 8 weeks to cycle my 5 gallon. This was a fish-in cycle, however, so I changed a lot of water.

It's really best to just leave it and let it go when you don't have to worry about fish health. You'll do your large water change before you add the fish.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #29 
penguin44

Sorry to add to the thread again, so my shrimp has dissolved to nothing. I think maybe a bit of tail but not much. Will that be enough to keep things moving?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #30 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
I have herd of tera safe start which im gonna try to speed up the cycles of my tank ( have 2 new tanks i need to cycle now >.<) anyone have anything to say about this product would love to know
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, tank and tank care