Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #1 
Goomba3

New Divided Tank, The Beginning!

Well, I decided to try my hand at dividing a 10-gallon tank. And when I say "my hand", I really mean I said to my boyfriend "I think I want to divide a 10-gallon tank" and he did everything else. And honestly, he was the one who was pushing me to get and divide a 10-gallon. I think he was basically looking for a project.

The tank I bought was a 10-gallon TopFin kit, which came with tank, hood, light, heater, thermometer, and filter (plus a net! oooo) for $50 from Petsmart. My boyfriend and I went to Menards and got a 2 foot square piece of white plastic for $10 and aquarium safe silicone for about $3. Then we stopped by the bar that his friend owns and got some sort of long plastic trimming with a lip that was used for the beer stocking room to slide the dividers in and and out. He thought of that, basically if I'm down to one fish I can slide the dividers out instead of having them siliconed directly into the tank. Also for easier cleaning.

My boyfriend did all the measuring and cutting. I basically siliconed in the plastic lip. Then I drew out where I wanted the holes in the dividers to be and we set out drilling the holes. At first we taped the two dividers together and were both drilling, but my boyfriend ended up cracking one of the dividers. So while I continued drilling, he cut and pieced together a few pieces to make a whole divider.

Boyfriend measuring for the dividers:

Drilling the holes in the dividers for water flow. This was super fun, but took the longest, about 2 hours:

The tank, with one divider and half of the other:

I waited 2 days before filling the tank and starting the filter. Then I let the filter and heater run for 2 more days before putting one of my fish in. The heater kind of sucks, I have it set at 86 (the highest it will go) and the thermometer only says 76. It's a Marineland type. I bought another heater today, a TopFin, but so far the heater being set high is working. I will keep an eye on it and if the temp starts to rise too high, I'll lower it.

Here are some pictures of my first boy, Edwin, in the right partition. There isn't much in terms of deco, I'm waiting until next week, when I get paid, to buy some more. They were enough to fill the 1 gallon tanks, but will definitely need more for the 3+ gallons sections the boys will be in now. I am also considering getting some live plants, but we'll see about that.

Edwin seems to like it, he's been swimming around like crazy. The only thing that I see wrong so far is that he has a large rip in his back fin, which I think happened when I was trying to get him out of his other tank. He didn't want to get caught and was swimming around like crazy. But so far he's enjoying the giant tank he has!

More pictures!

The whole tank, with Edwin being the first boy to go in:

Edwin's cute little face!

Last edited by Goomba3; 02-04-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

Your tank looks AWESOME! :D Your divider job is so neat! And LOL I love your description of the entire process! Pffffffffft! <3 LOVE.

OMG YOU'RE THE LADY WITH THE EDWIN AND BOB FISH! <3 I can now tell them that their living quarters have been upgraded! :D

The only thing that I'd suggest would be to move the heater to the center so that the far left section doesn't get too cold. ;]

It's weird... I'm having a similar problem with my 25 watt Hydor Theo. :/ I hope everything works out well! =]

I can't wait to see how you decorate! :D
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #3 
Goomba3

Haha, thank you Wallywest! Yes, I have been planning to upgrade them for some time, and the boyfriend was the one who got the ball rolling.

I was thinking about moving the heater, but the way the dividers are spaced, I can't really. I did put the thermometer on the left hand side to make sure it was warm enough over there, as well as one on the right to see the difference in temp. There isn't a difference as far as I can tell, and I still have the 10watt one to put in the left if it gets too cold. I'll post more pictures as I add the other two. I just wanted to try with one, in case something goes wrong only one gets sick instead of 3.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:24 AM   #4 
Nanglebadger

awesome work!!! that looks great!

Phil.
Nanglebadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #5 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomba3 View Post
And when I say "my hand", I really mean I said to my boyfriend "I think I want to divide a 10-gallon tank" and he did everything else.
LOL thats like me. i said what type of tank i wanted he organized it as a custom build job and he welded up a stand and painted it and he will put wood around it and make it purty. hes also setting up his marine tank so he jumps between my projects and his lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #6 
Goomba3

@Wallywest: I mis-read that the first time. You will have to tell your two friends that they've been upgraded from 1-gallon living spaces to 3+ gallons.

@Phil: Thank you!

@Abby: Isn't it funny how boyfriends end up doing that?? Haha.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #7 
Goomba3

I added my biggest boy tonight, Cheep-Cheep. Ideally, he'll go in the middle partition, but when I first released him, he was having major troubles with the filter flow, so after a minute I put him in the left-hand side where Maximus will eventually live. (He's still currently in his 1-gallon.) I'm going to get a filter sponge and baffle the flow and then move Cheep-Cheep into the middle.

Some update pictures. First it the tank as a whole, with two fish in it. Decor sucks, but I am waiting until I get paid next week:

Cheep-Cheep!

I also took a quick video of him while he was swimming and exploring his new home. I absolutely love his fins, I've never had a betta grow such long fins!
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y78...t=SAM_0592.mp4

Last edited by Goomba3; 02-05-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:15 AM   #8 
Abby

its looking great!
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #9 
wallywestisthebest333

Looks fab! ;] cheep cheep is stunning! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #10 
Goomba3

Thank you Abby and Wallywest! I can't wait until I have it all done. It's definitely a fun project.

Tags
tanks