Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #11 
Windblowswolf

How do I know what plastics are safe? How do I know if the trimming is safe? What things should I avoid? How much silicone would I need for one divider?
Windblowswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #12 
PewPewPew

Typically, any plastic that is "human/food/baby/pet" safe is fine for humans. Ones made with 1 and 2's are the kinds typically found in water bottles, which are fine.
What do you mean, "trimming"? What are you trying to "avoid"?

If youre doing a divider (I assume make your own?) You NEED A SEPERATE TANK! Silicone needs a completley dry tank (if was wet, take at least a day to dry), and then 2-4days to set, depending on the silicon, then a half day to clean once its finished.
Sometimes you need lots, sometimes not too much.

Honestly, I tried doing the DIY divider thing (Im pretty handy) and it just refused to work, which made me maaaaddd. It did it like 5 times, too. I might suggest just getting a premade divider that uses clips. Youre gonna spend at least $5-6 on sealant/silicon (USE AQUARIUM!!!), so you might as well just get the $10 divider from a store!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #13 
tokala

Nice!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #14 
Windblowswolf

only thing is we looked at the ones at the store and we couldn't figure out how to make them opaque because the only ones we found were flimsy plastic.
Windblowswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #15 
Goomba3

The silicone I got at Menards, it is aquarium safe. The dividers are not siliconed in, it's the plastic holders that are. My boyfriend's idea, simply in case one day I'm down to 1 fish instead of three and want to remove the dividers. Also for cleaning. Honestly, I just let the boyfriend take over and he thought up all the good ideas and did all the hard parts, haha.

You're right, though, Windblowswolf, it might just be easier to buy the dividers than make them yourself. Overall, I spent about $15, 10 on the plastic and 5 on the silicone. It took us about 4 hours to get everything done. I had a ton of silicone left over, and used it to make my home-made leaf hammocks.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tanks