Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #1 
tsoto80

Treating for Popeye

Housing
What size is your tank? 20 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 20 gallon is at 82 and the hospital tank is at 74
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 4 zebra danios, 5 small neon tetras, 2 african dawrf frogs, 2 other female bettas, 4 ghost shrimps

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta bits pellets, freeze dried blood worms on occasion, frozen brine shrimp on occasion, and I put flakes in the tank for the other tropical fish
How often do you feed your betta fish? I feed them once or twice a day depends if they look bloated or not

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%-75% depends on the water when I test it
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aquasafe but I am trying out Prime because my tap water haves a high level of ammonia in it

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
no, I did a water change immedetly after I noticed the popeye (just in case) I changed about 25 percent of the water then added a half a teaspoon of Prime (not sure on the proper dosage)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? popeye on one of her eyes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning when I woke up
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, I put her in a one gallon hospital tank with 2 teaspoons of epsom salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? unsure

I am wondering if my tank is overstocked. The neon tetras and frogs have been added recently and I removed two ghost shrimps to put in another tank. I was going to move the danio to a new tank but after 30 minutes of trying to catch them I gave up. All the other fish looks and acts "okay"
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:44 AM   #2 
turtle10

WOW that is a lot of Prime. Always check the dosage before you put it in. The dosage is only 2 drops per gallon.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #3 
tsoto80

oh really?! how do I do drops when it is in a big bottle? all it said was use one capful per 50 gallons equal to 5 ml and each thread on the cap is one ml. Anyways I figured about half that so 2.5 ml would be about 1/2 teaspoon...... hope I did not poision them :(
Old 02-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #4 
turtle10

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
oh really?! how do I do drops when it is in a big bottle? all it said was use one capful per 50 gallons equal to 5 ml and each thread on the cap is one ml. Anyways I figured about half that so 2.5 ml would be about 1/2 teaspoon...... hope I did not poision them :(

Ooh that is fine lol I thought you meant you would take a teaspoon and fill it up about half way. I use Amquel which is a diluted version of prime and I also use the little lines to measure it. Sorry I didn't realize what you meant.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #5 
tsoto80

thats alright lol I was getting worried. I used a medicine syringe for the dosage. I just cant figure out why only one fish developed popeye and not the others. Can other things besides poor water quality give a fish popeye?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #6 
turtle10

I really don't know, sorry.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #7 
tsoto80

anyone else with advice please?