Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #1 
darkangel216

Potential Female on AquaBid

I found this female on aquabid while I was browsing, what does everyone think of her as a potential breeder? Part of me is worried that her color is photoshopped, though the seller's feedback is all positive so I'm hopeful.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1297127118
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #2 
turtle10

She is pretty, but the photo quality is pretty bad to accurately tell what color she is. I am assuming you are breeding for colors and tail types, so it would probably be best to be 100% positive of the appearance.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #3 
darkangel216

Yeah, I would be breeding for her color and I have a HM male I would pair her with so I would have some HMs in the spawn. I'm always a bit hesitant when the picture quality isn't the best, though part of me is still tempted to get her because even if she's not really that color, her fins look nice, plus I've been wanting a HM female for a while and no one sells them. I'll keep thinking on it, thanks for your input turtle10. :)
Old 02-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #4 
vilmarisv

A lot of breeders sell HM females. All I've ever bought are HMs, u just need to ask. Martinsmommy has great fish, if you contact her I'm sure shell find u a female.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #5 
bettalover2033

Well she looks kind of pretty, it depends. Who are you looking to breed her to?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you're going for colors, I suppose she's ok.
But in terms of form; her dorsal is too far apart from her caudal. If that's her total spread, her caudal isn't wide enough and has rather round edges for a HM.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

It looks shopped to me. Notice how the edges of her picture taking tank are all violet. It looks like they used some kind of color balance tool to make her look more purple.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #8 
darkangel216

@ vilmarisv: That is true, I'll probably get in touch with one of the breeders and see about getting one of their females. Martinsmommy does have really nice fish.

@ indjo: That's another reason why I posted her, so I could get feedback on her form. I'm trying to learn about good finnage and form, so I'll research that more.

@ Sweeda88: That's what I was worried about.

@ bettalover2033: I was going to pair her with my male Houdini. I'll post some pics of him.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

How old is Houdini?
Notice some curling and folding on his anal (first picture)? Careful, if that's genetic, you may not want to breed him. Other wise, he's gorgeous.

To get more understanding on finnage, simply compare the criteria of HM or what ever with the fish you want to buy. The more difference, the worse the quality.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #10 
darkangel216

I got Houdini in December, and since he was probably at least 3 months old at that point, that would put him around 5 months old. Unfortunately, that means that I probably won't breed him since he'll be too old by the time I would have everything ready. Thanks for the info and input on Houdini indjo. :)