Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #1 
Elena

Fin rot - aaarghh!!!

So if you have seen Poe's pics from two days ago you wouldn't guess- I came back to work this morning to find his beautiful tail shredded!! It's still in the early stages fortunately but I am at a loss as to what's going on with him. He just seems more sensitive than any other fish I've had. He got daily 50-60% water changes since his clamping episode about two weeks ago (except for weekends but he seemed fine last week); tank is 2.5 gal heated 78F, filtered (cycled maybe? Can't tell with all these water changes)ammonia nitrite nitrate are all 0. Aargh!! I added aquarium salt and changed 2 gal of water- sadly he will go for two days without a water change. *Sigh*
Any ideas/suggestions? I'm worried that the subpar crap I've been feeding him combined with stress from unknown reasons- he is a very hyper jumpy fish glass surfing all day- may have brought his immune system down...
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How strong is the water flow...sometimes the filter itself can be the problem especially with longer fin Bettas.....kinda the flag in the wind effect.....when they constantly have to swim in a current and use the tail it tend to shred and get tattered and then you add objects in the tank and substrate no matter how smooth......some Betta long heavy fins can be fairly delicate.......

Keep the water clean to prevent secondary infection.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

Good luck with him! I hope his fin rot heals soon! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #4 
Elena

Oldfishlady, thanks for responding! The filter flow is minimal. I have an Azoo adjstable mini filter made for five gallons and below, and it's at about 25% of its flow. I have seen Poe swim by the filter intake multiple times and he doesn't even blink so to speak. He is not being tossed around or struggling against the current, he simply swims all day long. The silk plant I have in there doesn't even move with the water so I don't know. I will post a picture tonight, but his tail is shredded irregularly around the edge. I don't know why he is so hyper... Do you think I could use green tea decaf infusion for him? I don't have it now but could bring it with me on Monday. I know the water is hard, haven't checked for hardness but I can see the white spots after droplets dry. I'll change his water again before I leave so that he can make it through the weekend with minimal stress.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #5 
Elena

@Wally - thank you!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Sure he is not biting? if it is irregular sometimes it can be biting or erosion....dragging the tail on gravel can cause that too....even when the filter flow is slow any movement can cause damage and being hyper.....but since he is at the office....I would keep things as they are and just deal with it.....since you already make regular water changes....adding an extra a week should be enough to prevent secondary problems.....I don't think the tea will hurt but it may not help either.....however, the darker the water may help the hyper issue...but then being an office fish...people around him may not like it.....if he is where other staff enjoy him too......
Old 02-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #7 
Elena

I don't have gravel, just smooth glass pebbles. I don't think he is biting either but i may be wrong. He sure looks like the type- very hyper. The only thing that may be sharp in there is the base of one of the plants. I looked closely and I'm not sure it's fin rot- margins are not darker, so maybe he just got caught in the filter intake or against the plant base. He is otherwise eating like a pig and glass surfing as usual. At least he doesn't freak out anymore like he used to. I turned the lights off and did another quick water change before I left.
I can do the tea, he is my fish so don't really care how the tank looks as long as he's healthy. The things we do... I come in early every day for his water change :)
Edit: thank you for your help! Will update on Monday.

Last edited by Elena; 02-04-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Laffs...yes...the things we do for our fishy friends....lol....

I had a small tank several years ago with those smooth polished type glass stones...not sure if they are the same ones you have or not...about the size of really large marbles but more oval shaped-bought them in a fish-net type bag at a craft store...anyway....the long fin Betta would get his fins pinched between them as he rooted around...more the anal fin than the tail and he kept his fin tattered looking until I sat and watched him one day and seen what he was doing...once I removed them the fin problem resolved and the fins finial grew back.....
Old 02-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #9 
Elena

Hmmm... That's exactly the kind of glass pebbles I have... His anal fin is fine though and the tears are mostly at the top of his caudal. I'll have to keep an eye on him- kind of hard since i have to work :)
Got the decaf green tea and will do the infusion Monday. Do you put the teabag inside the tank so that it seeps slowly into the water or make it separately?
Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Top of the caudal fin.....could be from snags on the heater or filter....

I like to pre-mix in 1gal jug-but I don't see why you couldn't place the tea bag in the tank too...put it in your filter if it will fit or just hang in the tank...once the water gets a nice amber color take it out....