Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #1 
fleetfish

I am not a rescuer .. . .

But this sweetie broke my heart. The condition he was in when I first saw him was horrible. I was at Big Al's yesterday and I was going to buy a fantastic green/black lace HM but decided to take a second look, and this is when I spotted them - bettas that had SBD, fin rot, ich - the undisplayable bettas I suppose. They were stuffed under a shelf on the counter, out of the way. They were all in DIXIE CUPS, for heavens sake. Like the smallest plastic things imaginable. It was so sad. Shot glasses would have been bigger. They were all filthy and just plain disgusting.

I just couldn't see him in there forgotten and waiting to die. The guy at the front just gave him to me because HE didn't know what he was.
I think Dixie (rescue boy) might be a CT. His body weight is okay, not spectacular but I think he'll make it. Fin rot has wreaked havoc on his fins; in his cup little bits of red fin were floating around. Right now he's feeling much better, is unclamped and swimming around a lot. I've got him in a small container with BWE and salt and I'm planning to use Pierre's old tank.

I guess it was fate. When I got home with Dixie ... Pierre had become very sick and I had to euth him :(

I'll get pics of Dixie ASAP.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

Great job! I can't wait to see him, and really can't wait to see him after he's received lots of love from you!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #3 
Creat

Sending him my love! I hope he survives his ordeal and I cant wait for pictures.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #4 
fleetfish

Got some pics posted up in the pic section :)
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

I posted on your other thread but I'm so happy you saved him and his backstory is so sad!! ;_; I hope he gets well for you! <3

I'm so sorry you had to euthanize Pierre! <:[
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #6 
Jupiter

The petstores seem to be really bad lately. Usually I don't see a lot of probloem with Petsmart, but I went to two different locations this week and they were really bad. Big Al's was pretty bad too. Good thing you saved him!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #7 
fleetfish

I guess the "shunned" ones caught me off guard. But yeah, I agree on the stores being not up to par lately. At the Petsmart beside Big Al's I dug out at least five dead/dying bettas :(

And good news for Dixie! He's just eaten two bloodworms :)

So sorry about Octavian! It's been a rough few days for you.

Last edited by fleetfish; 02-04-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #8 
FuulieQ

Poor thing. I always feel terrible when I see distressed bettas like that. There's one "King" betta I've been watching at the store for weeks and weeks and he's still there.... he looks okay, but he's really a pretty boy, just not the type that novices who aren't familiar with bettas will go for. He has an orange "koi" patterning in one spot on his butt and blue eyes. c: I'd snap him up if I had space.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #9 
Jupiter

Seriously! When I went I literally saw a betta die in front of me because he was completely covered in ich or velvet. The conditions were so bad that I actually felt like saying something, but the only time I had the courage to say something, no one was there.

Thanks fleetfish. I'm pretty frustrated right now.

Good to hear that Dixie is on the mend though!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #10 
HayrideHaunter

im so glad you snatched him up...I do hope he gets better, and I'm sorry to hear about pierre!

my boyfriend and I just went to petco because i got my boy a bigger tank and he needed some new decor...the fish section there is so awful and sad...soooo many dead fish and several dead turtles...things that have very obviously been there for days...the bettas are bad too...
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote