Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #1 
HarleyRigid

Help with plants.

Could anyone give me some hints and tips for my plants. My crypts and java ferns are doing well but my hornwort is starting to go yellow at the tips. The 'strands' are quite long and reach almost to the top of my tank so they are quite close to my light. I have not added anything to aid the plants as I just dont know what to add lol. Any help would be much appreciated. The hornwort has been in my cycled tank for 1 week and the base is buried in my gravel substrate.
Thank you in advance
HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #2 
Kittles

From what I've read about hornwort - having never actually owned it myself - it's supposed to be one of the easiest pants to grow. I'm not sure why it'd be yellowing unless its close proximity to the light is drying and / or burning it. Does it protrude from the water?

Maybe look into some kind of carbon dioxide implementation?
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #3 
Kittles

Well, I can't edit my previous post, but with much effort I have tracked down Hadouken's DIY CO2 generator.

Perhaps this may be of interest?
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

I have had terrible luck with hornwort. The hornwort always ends up turning brownish then shedding and making a mess of my tank. I hope someone has some advice, at this point I have just given up on hornwort for the moment.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

I'm not really sure but it could be your water hardness. Some plants only do well in soft water and some only do well in hard water while most adapt.

API's Leafzone is a good way to add macronutrients. Flourish Excel is a good way to add CO2 (in a liquid form) but I heard it's expensive.

DIY CO2 can be messy but it works well during the day and you don't need to have a "Nap period" like you do when you don't add it. You'll wanna find a way to seal it or stop it from running at night though. :/ Too much CO2 when the plants aren't using it can kill your fish.

If you don't have a "nap period" already I suggest getting a timer and giving your plants a 4 hour nap in the middle of the day. This will allow the CO2 levels in your tank to build up before the light comes back on in the afternoon/evening. =]

My plants do well this way and even pearl in the evenings! <3 (then again it might be the incredible amount of light they currently get! :'D I have way too much light for my 2 gallon! XD)
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #6 
Scrambles

I have had both of those plants, and with the java & crypt, both require low lighting, no more than 2 wpg. As for the yellowing, that is more than likely a deficiency of some sort, I would guess iron. you can buy some plant nutrients at your lfs or try putting some nails under the gravel.
Scrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

Hornwort is typically a floating plant and doesn't usually require Iron to my knowledge.... :/ Did I read the wrong plant profile?

Or were you talking about the fern and the crypts? Because he said those were doing well.

Also wouldn't the nail rust? If he does need to add iron I'd do it through root tabs first.... It seems safer to me. But then again that's just me. I can be paranoid and overly cautious sometimes. ._.;
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #8 
Scrambles

If you read my previous post then you would know that I didn't mention anything about your hornwort.
Nails are not always the preferred way to maintain iron levels in an aquarium, but I have done it, and with good results. As for rust, obviously you should not leave them in the tank for more than a month.
Of course, a high quality plant nutrient solution is the best, I recommend Flourish.

Last edited by Scrambles; 02-05-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

Personally, I HATE hornwort!!!!! :(
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #10 
Scrambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Personally, I HATE hornwort!!!!! :(
here here
Hornwort blows, I was happy to give all mine away for free.