Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #1 
naturegirl243

What on earth keeps growing in my tank?

So in my sorrority tank this wierd rust like stuff keeps growing it started out growing on the front of the tank and nothing else.so I gave the tank a 100% change and scrubbed it off the side of the tank, and it went away now it's back only it started on this decoration I have in the tank.It doesn't bother the fish at all it's just wierd.It only grows in this tank.It's a cycled 10 gal. and it has 4 females living in it.I doubt this is rust but it comes off pretty easily we have pretty hard water but it's not that bad.I took a pic of it it's the darker stuuf on the decoration that not the way it looks it's whatever this stuff is.
Attached Images

naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

It looks like diatoms. It's harmless, but annoying. I think it is common in new set-ups, and can be caused by an imbalance of nutrients. I sometimes get it on my slow-growing Anubias leaves.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #3 
naturegirl243

the only live plant I have in there is a marimo ball that is doing quite well.and it doesen't bother that.I just thought it was weried cause none of my other tanks have it,but none of my other tanks are cycled.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:33 AM   #4 
Aluyasha

My cousin's 55 gallon has this stuff all over it, mostly on the light coloured caves and rocks. Though he does not clean it that much and never turns off the light and feeds his Red Devil like 14 pellets at once.
I have no idea what it is, I am always cleaning that stuff off his tank and it just keeps coming back.
I do not think it is tank size though, I have a 10 gallon and it never gets that stuff in it. And I had a 15 gallon for a long while and it never did either.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #5 
naturegirl243

Yeah I don't think it's the tank size either cause I have a 10 gal. split tank also and I don't have this problem.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #6 
ChicagoPete

Ive got that brown goop aswell, its completely harmless. Infact its good for your tank. They eat amonia and help produse oxygen for your fish ^.^ YOu can see it all over my heater in the back and on the roof of my hut in my pic.
Attached Images

ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #7 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Is it a form of brown algae? I have it too.
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #8 
Atolon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
It looks like diatoms. It's harmless, but annoying. I think it is common in new set-ups, and can be caused by an imbalance of nutrients. I sometimes get it on my slow-growing Anubias leaves.
I got a Anuibias plant too.. It seems to be doing well but I was wondering...
How much light should I give it?
Atolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #9 
ChicagoPete

I have two 13W compact florescent bulbs that say Daylight on the packaging and have an output of 6500K. I have them on roughley 10 hrs a day but enywhere between 8 to 10 is ok.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #10 
Atolon

I got a 15W Compact florescent bulb. My housing only has a plug for one bulb. I leave it on for most of the day, but I noticed one of the lower leaves is starting to brown
Atolon is offline   Reply With Quote