Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #1 
CrownTailLover

New Here. Too much flow in my tank?

Hey all, new here and just got my first betta fish today. He's a crown tail. I'll try to get some pictures of him soon. Right now he's playing around with the gravel at the bottom of his tank. However, I think my filter is causing to much flow for him. It's a penguin power filter and he's in a 20 gallon high tank. I've read on here about people using sponges to help lessen the flow from filters, but I don't know how to do that. Any help with lessening the flow in his tank would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
CrownTailLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #2 
bettafish15

On the outtake of the filter, put a filter sponge over it and secure it with a rubberband. As for the intake, put clean, "never seen soap" pantyhose on it :)

*Edit: Dont use kitchen sponges, those contain some toxins. Use a filter sponge, they're really cheap at petstores.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #3 
CrownTailLover

Thank you very much, seems easy enough. I'm guessing I should rinse off the rubber bands before hand just to be safe? Or are there certain kinds I should use?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #4 
bettafish15

I'm not sure, The water probably wont touch the rubber band much, so just give it a good rinse. I dont think it matters what kind ^^
Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #5 
Wildcat

Hi, I have a 3.5 gallon and my filter is that way too, (even though it has a flow control on it) it is still to strong. It has a strange shpe for the output flow and fits funny with my lid, because I have a circular tank. So.....I started looking around the house, trying to find something that may work. I found a rubber jar opener in the kitchen, and gave it a try, it works perfectly. I washed it well, and then dipped in water change before putting it on. Here's a photo...
Thought I would share, it may work for you, or someone else.
Attached Images

Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #6 
CrownTailLover

That's clever. I got the sponges and it's all set up now. He has some water pushing straight down under the filter, but every where else seems to be fine now. He's swimming up top now and wasn't able to before. Thanks for helping me help him. :D

My betta fish is also sticking near the corners of the tank. He has some hiding spaces in there, but I was wondering, do I have enough, or is he just being shy since it's a new home for him?

Last edited by CrownTailLover; 02-04-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Could he be cold? He should have a heater in his tank and be kept at temps of 78-83 :)
Old 02-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #8 
CrownTailLover

His heater is set to 79 should I bump it up to 80?

Edit: Went up to check on him and he has taken to his cave. :) I'm glad he's moving around more.

Last edited by CrownTailLover; 02-04-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #9 
bettafish15

79 is fine ^^ I just wasnt sure what your situation was ;D
Old 02-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #10 
CrownTailLover

I did my research before getting him. This site was extremely helpful to say the least. :)