Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #1 
Lordsameth

Cloudy tank...

I changed Biscotti's water two days ago, and I noticed last night and this morning that the water water is cloudy. When I was cleaning, I added new rocks to the tank, and also am using a new conditioner. Biscotti seems okay, but I'm not sure if he's in danger of getting sick or not.

He is in a 5 gallon.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Is it cloudy green or cloudy white, is the tank cycled, how much and how often are the water changes, filtration, live plants, last time filter media was changed or cleaned and if cleaned, how? do you vacuum the substrate, any other tank mates, type and amount of additives, water temp...how long has the tank been set up? was the new rock added-from a store or collected-how did you clean it....do you have any water pram numbers? do you remove uneaten food?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #3 
Lordsameth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Is it cloudy green or cloudy white, is the tank cycled, how much and how often are the water changes, filtration, live plants, last time filter media was changed or cleaned and if cleaned, how? do you vacuum the substrate, any other tank mates, type and amount of additives, water temp...how long has the tank been set up? was the new rock added-from a store or collected-how did you clean it....do you have any water pram numbers? do you remove uneaten food?
Hard to tell if it is cloudy green or white, my walls are green O_o The tank is cycled and filtered, He gets a 75% change in Wednesdays and a 25% on Sundays. No live plants. Filter media was cleaned about two weeks ago, rinsed with water changed from the top of the aquarium(which was then disposed of). I use a small rock vacuum on the rocks on Wednesdays. No tank mates. water is currently sitting at 79 degrees. The tank has been set up since October, never any cloudiness. The new rock was store bought, same brand as the other rock in the tank, and the same added to my other fish's tank mid January. I rinsed the rocks with boiling water several times. There was no cloudiness in my other tank when I added the rock.

The new conditioner has Indian almond leaf in it.

Ammonia is 0.

There is never uneaten food, I watch my fish eat every pellet.

edit: Looks to be green. I'm guessing it is from the new rocks, I used the other conditioner in my other tank and the water is clear. Can the rocks cloud harm my Betta?

Last edited by Lordsameth; 02-04-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: New facts
Old 02-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

If its more green looking it may be an algae bloom-usually this is harmless to the fish....I would start making some 50% water only changes for a couple of days and scrape off the algae on the viewing walls and vacuum out with the water changes..does the tank get any direct or indirect sunlight....if so, that may be the cause.

Your overall husbandry is great.....I will add one thing....in a 5gal filtered/cycled with 1-Betta-you should be able to maintain water quality with 1-50% weekly water change with substrate vacuuming, however, what you are doing is fine too.....

One note-I would not recommend boiling or baking rocks....it can be dangerous-some can explode.....usually a good rinse under running water will be fine......
Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #5 
Lordsameth

There is no access to sunlight, and this happened right after cleaning.

There is no growth of any kind in the tank, the water is just kinda foggy.

I think it is the rocks, they are black so green discoloration of the water would make sense. Can this hurt my fish?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Okay...I miss-read that about your green walls...lol....sorry...anyway-regardless if it is an algae bloom or bacterial bloom water changes are the fix and usually neither are harmful to the fish...finding the root cause is also needed.....
Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #7 
Lordsameth

I'll be keeping an eye on it then.