Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #1 
LuvMyBettas12

Exclamation Betta seems to be having trouble breathing! sitting at top of tank & barley moving

Something is wrong with my Crowntail, it just started today, I just got him a brand new tank yesterday, he was in not quite a 1 gallon vase so I got him a 2 gallon tank. Today he didn't really eat this morning, I offered pellets first and when he didn't take those I removed them and put a tiny bit of flakes in. He ate one of the flakes but has spent the rest of the day, mostly at the top of his tank, gills constantly moving and looks to be gasping for air, Sitting in one spot and barley moving.

He went down and around for a swim a couple times but ran back up for air. Now he's just been at the top of the tank all day. I'm freaked out!

I have 4 bettas in total and my other 3 are fine. I got this guy on Dec 6, 2010.

3 of my 4 bettas got bigger tanks yesterday and only the crowntail seems to be having issues today. I used the same water, water conditioner and aquarium salt mixture for all 4 as always.. I haven't done anything different. :( help anyone?????
LuvMyBettas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #2 
LuvMyBettas12

Here is a video I took of the labored breathing, sorry the quality isn't good, I took it with my cell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eE2WAhFmeI
Old 02-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #3 
LuvMyBettas12

here's another 2 videos...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6L1N6DRh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CogkGaFrVvM
in the second one it seems like he was having trouble getting up for air, kept falling :(
Old 02-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #4 
LuvMyBettas12

Any help / suggestions / related experiences, anything would be of great help! Please and thank you!! :)
Old 02-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta is not well....

Since this is a new setup-it may be something toxic or even not enough dechlorinator...this is easy to forget when you are making a change over...also what is your water temp....

Right now-I would start by making 50% water changes and use a little extra dechlorinator for the next 2-3 days and see if he won't perk up for you...don't worry about feeding him right now...I would hold all food until his breathing has returned to normal

Why are you using salt and how much are you using?

Keep us posted...

Edit-I just seen you other post-if he is having trouble getting to the top-I would turn off the filter and lower the water level and make a 100% water change...keep the water temp in the 76-77F range. Make sure the fresh dechlorinated water is within a couple of degrees between new and old water so not to cause temp related shock

Is this a brand new fish too-if so, how did you acclimate him to your source water?

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 02-04-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #6 
LuvMyBettas12

For his water I am using Nutrafin Betta Plus water conditioner, it says to use 5 ml for every 2 liters of water, so i have been measuring that out. I have also been adding Nutrafin freshwater aquarium salt, it says to use a table spoon for every 5 gallons, so I have been using less than a table spoon since he was in just under a 1 gallon and is now in a 2 gallon.

I have never had a problem before, all 4 of my bettas were happy and healthy until today when Spongebob started acting this way, the other 3 are fine in their tanks, same as usual.

...he has been moving around more which makes me happy, just in the last half hour. I'm hoping it was just over feeding, i was giving him 2 or 3 pellets in the morning but he is so tiny I could probably get away with 1 or 2. but anything he doesn't eat I remove right away so it wont pollute the tank. I've also added flakes to their diet about a week and a half ago, he seems to like these more than pellets and ate one flake this morning. I buy the HBH Betta color bright flakes and the HBH betta bites.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #7 
LuvMyBettas12

...oh and I did just notice that all of their tanks are at 72-73 deg right now, I normally try to keep them closer to 75 - 78 deg. I turned the heat up a smidge just now...
Old 02-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #8 
LuvMyBettas12

his left gill is defiantly hanging out more than the other....would love to know why and what that means!! Is it possible he hit it on something? There really isn't anything in his tank to do so on and I'm normally very careful when transfering them to do water changes. he was fine all yesterday after the change. Not sure what he could've hurt himself on if that is it...
Old 02-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Since it is a new tank-it could be something toxic....I would make a 100% water change to rule that out as a cause.....is he bloated, scale sticking up, have you seen any poop-before you moved him to the new tank-how much and how often did you make the water changes on the 1gal tank.

Also, they don't need long term salt-it can cause resistant issues and kidney damage
Aquarium salt is a great product for treatments when used for the right reason, dosage and duration....with salt tolerant species....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #10 
LuvMyBettas12

ok, well I already did the 50 % water change and he seems to be moving around more already. and oh! I wasn't aware to not use new salt for every water change, ok I will stop adding the salt.

Hmm I don't think hes bloated, he looks pretty normal. Its just the one gill that seems to be staying out and the other is going in and out. I'll try posting another video that hopefully shows what I mean...try taking it from above to hopefully show the difference.

Well he's finally sitting back on his leaf hammock and not breathing so heavy...hope that's a good sign...*fingers crossed!*

Tags
cant breath, gasping, gill, sick, sick betta