Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #11 
LuvMyBettas12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnHpRB6Oq_k

not the best quality, sorry, very disappointed in my phones video quality. Its all I have at the moment.
LuvMyBettas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

When he was in the 1g-how much and how often did you make water changes, how long have you had this Betta, who did you get him from, can you tell what color the gills are...this information will help me give you an idea about the gill
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #13 
LuvMyBettas12

I had his mirror in this morning so I saw his gills well, after he wouldn't eat i figured maybe he was bored so put it in to get him to play and they were his normal red.

I got him on Dec 6, 2010 from my local Petland.

At first I was changing his water only about every 2 weeks but was doing 100% water changes, then I found out I am only supposed to do about half the water only because some bacteria in the water is 'good bacteria' and the water can actually get dirty faster if I'm always doing 100% water changes, which yes was seeming to be true, it seemed to get dirtier faster every time. So now I plan to do 50% water changes once every 3-5 days. Is that a good amount of time?

...hope I answered all of your questions ;0)

Thanks so much for the help!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Most likely what is going on with the gills is scar tissue from ammonia burns.....in 1gal tank with water changes every two weeks the ammonia and nitrite levels can get to levels that can hinder oxygen transport in the blood and burn the skin and gills- this can result in scar tissue...depending on how much/bad the scar tissue-sometimes it can cause extended gill flaps and sometimes breathing or exchange problems....not a lot can be done once the damage has been done except to maintain really good water quality....

In filtered tanks you can establish the nitrogen cycle and this beneficial bacteria can help break down the harmful byproducts from the fish to less harmful byproducts-once the nitrogen cycle has established (4-8weeks) depending on tank size the amount and number of water changes can be reduced and still maintain water quality.

In filtered tanks 1-4gal-regardless of nitrogen cycle-twice weekly 50% water changes are needed...1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method to maintain water quality

Filter media also needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain good water flow-you want the filter media to look dirty....this is good bacteria....

In unfiltered tanks 1-4gal-need twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality....
Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #15 
LuvMyBettas12

Ok, thank you so much!! If that is what it is then hopefully he will be ok!!

I will be sure to start doing proper water changes and stop adding the salt and hopefully he will heal! Ohh I feel so bad :(

When should I do his next 50% water change since I did one today? Should I do it sooner since this one had some salt?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

I would do some 50% daily for 2-3 days and then start a regular schedule based on if your tank if filtered or not...and don't feel bad....stuff happens and what is important is now you know......positive thoughts.....
Old 02-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #17 
LuvMyBettas12

ok, thank you so much for your help!!! I'll let you know how things go :)
Old 02-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #18 
LuvMyBettas12

after more research It's defiantly inflamed gills, he seems to be swiming better today but his face is paler :(

I've seen many differernet sites suggest Ampicillin, should I try this??
Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #19 
LuvMyBettas12

I'm quite certain it is inflamed gills after further research, other than water changes is there anything further I should be doing? I have seen on a few different sites people suggested Ampicillin, is this helpful in my case?

I have been doing the 50% water changes every day. He seems to be swimming a little better today but his face is paler which scares me! Breathing doesn't seem as labored though...is that good or bad??
Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #20 
LuvMyBettas12

oops, sorry for the repeated info on the last 2 posts...

Tags
cant breath, gasping, gill, sick, sick betta