Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #1 
Crazykat

White slash across back

I'm not sure whether I should put this here or in compatibility, but since my main concern is whether it's going to spread, I'll put it here.

Anyway, one of my pygmy cories has always had this white slash on her back. I've always assumed it was a scar. However, I believe it is growing. It's just a white/beige discoloration across her back, doesn't look like fungus, may be slightly bulging. It hasn't slowed her down at all. I will be posting pictures as soon as I go home for the weekend. So, my question is, is this something I should worry about spreading to the other fish? Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Some kind of under-the-skin fungus? She's had it for more than a month and no one else has anything similar. Could it be a tumor? Could it be some wierd pigmentation thing?
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #2 
Crazykat

Okay, pics now that I have my camera cord. Sorry for the iffy quality. So to reiterate, is this something I should worry could spread?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #3 
Crazykat

Okay, I'm going to bump this up again. I know it's not a betta, but anyone who knows anything about cories, I would be super grateful if you had any ideas. This white spot swelled while I was gone for the weekend, and when I came back from class today, it had burst and there is now a chunk out of this little guy's side. He/she is still active, but it's really nasty looking. What should I do? Quarantine? How do cories do with quarantine and how would you treat this since cories are super sensitive to aqarium salt? I've got him floating in a little tupperware right now.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #4 
Abby

not a clue as ive not got cories but its a good idea to QT him so that if its a yucky thing noone else will get it.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #5 
Crazykat

This is so frustrating! If he were a betta, I'd be using salt, but cories are too sensitive. What the heck should I use to prevent an infection and promote healing in a fish that is so sensitive. The fishstore people just make fun of me and tell me to flush him which makes me SO ANGRY. He's such an active little guy, even with a chunk out of his side. Sorry, I'm not yelling at anyone (except those morons at the fish store) I'm just tired and I know I have only an hour to get him medicine tomorrow morning, so I'm just really unhappy that I can't figure out what to give him without harming him. :(
Old 02-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #6 
Crazykat

Okay, well I'm going to add my treatment plan just in case anyone else has a problem like this in the future.
After calling every fish store in the state, it feels like, I finally got someone who knew what they were doing. Cories cannot be treated with aquarium salt because they do not have scales, which left me stumped. So, my treatment plan is thus:

I have the cory in QT in a tupperware inside the tank and I'm doing 100% water changes every day. I'm also feeding food rolled in garlic to everyone just in case this was a parasite. That should boost their immune systems. The QT cory is receiving a half dose of bettafix (which is a dilute version of Melafix). While I would be leery of using it on my betta, it seems to be the only option, and I have to say, the cory is perking up, really wants to get out of the tank (probably because the other cories are doing their mate-chase-nuzzle thing right around his box) and I'm seeing healing around the edges of the wound. So that's all for now, we'll see how this plays out. *crosses fingers*
Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #7 
LolaQuigs

I'm sorry I'm no help, I've never had cories. I'm planning on stocking my ten gallon with some when I get it cycled, and I was also also worried about treatment for illnesses and wounds in a fish that can't handle salt. I don't know much about it, but the treatment sounds good to me. Good luck, I hope your cory gets better and whatever it is doesn't spread to anyone else!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #8 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Crazykat,

This place is all cat fish stuff; try looking here:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/

Good luck!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #9 
Crazykat

Aha! Thank you HereFishy. I kept getting fishlore which infects my computer with viruses everytime I go there.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #10 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Ewwww! Viruses! Thanks for the tip :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote