Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #1 
GienahClarette

Should I be worried? Red appearing on fins

Hello, everyone. I came back from my internship today and noticed some red developing on Sir Crispin's tail. I've kept fish before, but never bettas. It doesn't look like any of the problems I've seen in other fish. But, its sudden appearance has me concerned.

I did a 50% water change last night, and all of the water perimeters were in check. The tap where I live does have a high ammonia content, but I treat the living hell out of the water before it comes close to my fish. Here are some pictures, with the areas in question circled.

He's been very active: swimming in his usual spots, exploring the tank, flaring at my hand mirror when I put on makeup this morning, begging for food, etc. He's also been holding his fins up well.

My question is: is this new color developing or something that I should be worried about?

GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #2 
GienahClarette

I feel like a complete idiot, since this could very well be a normal coloration or something else completely benign. But, given Sir Crispin's habit of rolling around on the gravel once or twice a day, I'm worried that both are a symptom of something serious.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #3 
peaches3221

I think he's a marble, which means that he changes colors. as long as he's active, eating, etc i'm sure he's OK and you're not an idiot, just a concerned fish parent! he's beautiful BTW where did you get him?
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #4 
GienahClarette

He was described as a green and black lace, so I wasn't sure if he was going to change color. Although, he's still pretty young and needs to grow into his adult finnage. So, that is a distinct possibility. :) He's from one of Martinismommy's recent spawns.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #5 
vaygirl

That seems to be where the color changes come in for some. My marbles both started getting red streaks in their fins. First Whiskey and now Logan. You could send her a PM and ask her. But usually if it's just color and no deterioration or change in health, it's a color thing.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #6 
GienahClarette

Thank you for the advice, guys. I'm a little paranoid about something happening to Sir Crispin. So, I'm quite relieved right now. C:
Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #7 
Fawnleaf

Wow!! He IS beautiful!! Is he just really young, or is he a plakat? (I think he's just super young...?)
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote