Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #1 
Lion Mom

To Sterilize a Fresh Water Tank

Ran across this note to myself from years ago (LOL) and thought I would share since so many ask how to sterilize a tank. I got the information from the one and only LFS I deal with. In all the years of dealing with them, they have never steered me wrong.

It is as easy as this - 1/2 cup of canning salt to a gal. of water. Run for 24 hours. You can us this on your gravel, decorations, nets, filter, etc. - not live plants, of course. They told me that any and all freshwater critters can't survive this treatment.

Once the 24 hours is up rinse everything extremely well - maybe a couple good rinses?

Hope this helps some of you that are looking for a safe alternative to using bleach to disinfect.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #2 
coolcucumber

coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

And just think - if there IS a small amount of the canning salt left in the tank it doesn't hurt anything. Unlike bleach.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #4 
bamsuddenimpact

id assume that is correct because canning salt has the same properties as aquarium salt(anti caking). I have also seen cleaning it with vinegar...
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Nice info, thanks.

Dumb question; what is canning salt? Do you know the scientific name for it? I usually use Kalium Permanganate (sorry about spelling) which is very difficult to clean off.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

I have no idea what the stuff you are using is- LOL - but canning salt is just plain salt without any anti-caking agents or other additives. You purchase it at your grocery store (comes in an approx. 4 lb. box) and it is WAY less expensive than aquarium salt, but is used in the same way and same dosage as AQ.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Thanks for the info. Pure salt? I don't think it's sold here. But I'll check it out anyway.

Kalium Permanganate is sold in drugs store for sterilizing wounds (in my area). It definitely kills bacteria but very hard too clean off after wards. I wouldn't suggest it if you have other alternatives.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

OUCH! D: SALT for sterilizing wounds? MAN that's gotta hurt! D': Buuuuuuh!!! *shivers*

Thanks for the canning salt info Lion Mom! <3 I'll definitely try it out! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
OUCH! D: SALT for sterilizing wounds? MAN that's gotta hurt! D': Buuuuuuh!!! *shivers*

Thanks for the canning salt info Lion Mom! <3 I'll definitely try it out! =]

You're welcome. I KNOW it works 'cuz I had to use it once early on in my fishkeeping career.

I took in an angel fish from somebody & didn't know about QT'ing (dummy me) and it turned out she had those red worms than hang out of the anus (can't remember the name of the parasite). Lost my whole tank.

BUT - used this method to sterilize the tank - filters, gravel & all - and never had another problem with it!