Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #1 
Pekemom

High pH...

Hi. I'm new to betta keeping but not fish keeping. After the two back-to- back hurricanes in SE Florida a few years ago, losing two tanks of fish during an eight day power outtage, was enough to make me quit for awhile. So I started up a few weeks ago, and am now running a 5 gal tank with a lone female crowntail. She's doing just great and the water is crystal clear. I do a 20 to 25% water change twice a week and I thought all was well. Today I broke down and purchased a fresh water test kit. Surprisingly, my pH was high, 7.6. I'm so adverse to doing anything to the tank that might change the clarity of the water or, really, the health of my fish. Must i use a pH lowering chemical, or will more frequent water changes do the trick?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #2 
turtle10

Your ph is absolutely fine :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #3 
Pekemom

Thanks, Turtle. So the acceptable pH range for bettas is...7.0 to 7.6-ish???
Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #4 
turtle10

Not sure exactly, but I do know they adjust very well to ph. I think Oldfishlady's water is hard at like 8.0 (correct me if wrong!), so you should be fine. I am not an experienced fish keeper like she is, but my water is 7.8 and my fish are very healthy and active.

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the only thing hard water will do is crinkle their fins a bit.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #5 
Pekemom

Ahh, okay. thanks for your response. I'm a dog-lover, too (pekemom=pekingese mom to two) and your fur babes sound adorable! =))
Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #6 
turtle10

OMG I personally have never seen a Pekingese in real life but they are the CUTEST! I almost got one, but decided a Yorkie was best for my lifestyle. I bet you just smile so wide everytime you see them. I know I do lol
Old 02-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #7 
Lion Mom

You're good - my ph is 8 & all are doing just fine. :) The fish will adjust to the ph - steady is WAY better than trying to change it, IMO/E!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I agree, Bettas and most fish will adapt to our source water pH...some species of fish do need to have pH changed for breeding/eggs/fry development and keeping with some especially some cichlids-but the Betta is not one of them.....

On your pH-to get an accurate reading-your source water needs to de-gas for 24h and a neat test to do that can give you some interesting information......

Make the pH test and write the numbers down:
Draw a clean glass of your source water-test
wait 24h and re-test this same glass of water
Add your dechlorinater and test
test your tank water

Now compare all these numbers
Usually the pH will be lower after 24h de-gas-the number difference is your CO2 content-by testing with your dechlorinator after de-gas will tell you if the dehlorinator changes the pH, and the difference in the tank water and de-gas source water will tell you if anything in your tank is effecting the pH...not something you have to do....just interesting.....at least for me but I am easily entertained...laffs.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #9 
Pekemom

That does sound interesting, OFL. I will have to experiment with that. Well, I'm happy to know that a pH of 7.6 is tolerable for bettas and it doesn't sound like a critical parameter. One less worry on the road back to fishkeeping!! =))
Old 02-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #10 
k2ofcu

Hi, another newbie here (well, I've had bettas before (in the past), but am now trying to educate myself more for my new CT guy (rescued from department store water cup* so rank that I did not know his actual color until he arrived home - just knew he was really little and had the rankest water:-/ !)
(*though they improved everyone's water ~ 1 day later on a return run to the store ;-/).

Am at work (so can't check my tank directly) but had been reading about aquarium salt (btw do I need to use this routinely?).

In my readings- discovered that bettas should be kept around 7.x pH. Fine.

Went to local water company website to look at water report -discovered that our local water runs 8.5 - 9.0.

Should I buffer the water back down to the 7.x range or should I go with the idea that consistent (though not optimal) is better than optimal (though may be less consistent)?

Thanks in advance!

K2ofCU.
k2ofcu is offline   Reply With Quote