Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #1 
jschristian44

First Breeding Attempt Unsuccesful (Criticism Free Thread)

Hey guys,
SO, I think almost everyone who is a member on this site posted on my last thread about Breeding Impatience. I want to desperately start with a new clean slate.

Right now, I have my female in a 2.5 gallon tank being healed for her fins and resting. The male is still in his 10 gallon tank filled to about 5 inches of water. I am going to let the female rest until like March 1st or so. Then I am going to start conditioning both of them at the same time with their tanks side by side. After 2 weeks (middle of March), I am going to put the female inside the hurricane glass in the 10 gallon tank. I am going to let her in there for like 3 days minimum or until the male has finished a bubble nest. Then when I feel she is ready, vertical white stripes, belly full of eggs, doing a headstand on the bottom, I will release her to him. I know there will be some fin nipping, but I am pretty sure he's not supposed to go full throttle at her non-stop for 5 minutes like he has yesterday. I have read that it can take up to 2 days for them to finally embrace. But if he is going to go full throttle against her without any rest for either of them, I will know something is wrong correct?

So in short, I want to start this thread over and do it all right this time. I would really appreciate Turtles, Abby, MrVampire, and 1fish2fish's advice here. Anyone else can chime in as well, but please, please keep it legit and nice. I don't want another thread like the last one. Let's keep that in the past alright!

Thank you guys!
Justin
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #2 
BettaLover101

I wouldnt keep their tanks side by side while conditioning. This could stress the female out if he is always over there bothering her because she has no space to escape.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #3 
jschristian44

sigh thats not what i read and what people told me. here we go again with the mixed info. guys, i cant do this if your gonna give me mixed info all the time, please stop! so frustrating!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #4 
BettaLover101

sorry, i didnt actually read your other thread all the way through so i figured nobody had mentioned this. :(
Old 02-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maybe this thread might be helpful.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...success-61419/
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #6 
BeCkS

I think you should just give up

Last edited by dramaqueen; 02-03-2011 at 04:49 PM.
BeCkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #7 
jschristian44

i did give up. i put all the substrate in my 10 gallon so its my display aquarium and the female is in the 2.5 gallon that acts as a nursery. i give up for now until i know definately what im doing, then i will remove the substrate, etc. but my plants were dying, my female took some hard abuse, and i still have way much to learn, including that people give different advice that confuses the heck out of me which makes it even more difficult. but i picked 4 names out here on the forum who seem to have a pretty good idea of what they are doing.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #8 
BettaLover101

frankly if you are going to breed your bettas then you should pick a method and role with it. You may have to alter it a little to fit you and your bettas needs and this explains why you are getting mixed answers. Everybody has their own versions for breeding methods so you can't really say that I want somebody to tell me the best way of breeding bettas because really there isn't one.

I know most people on here wouldn't dare try their hand at The Thai Way of breeding but I find that method is definitely the best method for me to breed my bettas.

Here is a website that has a few different breeding methods and descriptions on how to go about using them. I hope this helps.
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/c....imp?catid=855
Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #9 
jschristian44

thanks bettalover, i know this is true. but i just cant realize why the male seemed ready and so did the female, but the male was just way too aggressive. if my male wasnt so aggressive, i think they would have gotten it done by now.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #10 
jschristian44

so is there anyway to cut back on his aggressiveness?