Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #1 
VTAb182

New owner and looking for a better setup... advice?

A couple months ago I was given a betta fish a pet (named him Seafood :]) and I'm really liking the company on my desk! Right now he lives in a 1 gallon (i think) bowl without a heater. The water is at about 69-70 degrees (mid day in my room). He isn't too active and mostly just chills. I want to get a better home for him and see if he perks up any, but I'm new to the fish world.

I've been reading up on bettas and it seems that a 2 or 2.5 gallon tank out fit my needs (bigger than the current one but still small enough for my desk) and a heater are the two things I really need. Any advice on either of these two items would be great (mostly the heater). And does a rounded bowl or a squared tank make a difference, or is it just personal preference?

For food I've been feeding him "Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits." Is there a certain brand of food that is recommended for bettas, or is the kind I have now just fine?

Thanks in advance for all your help! And let me know if you need more info!
VTAb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #2 
HayrideHaunter

im not insanely experienced, and I'm hoping someone else will come here and either comfirm or elaborate what I'll say...but:

69-70 degrees is definitely too cool for him, which is probly why he doesnt move much...I'm glad youre getting a heater =)...I dont have a reccomendation there I'm afraid

as far as a tank I personally just bought a 2gal marineland aquarium system eclipse 2. it was $32 at a lfs and comes with a wonderfully quiet filter and a cute hood with a little fish shaped switch for the light. looks nice and its on my desk in my dorm, so perfect for a desk. I do reccomend if you choose this one though that you get some filter sponge and baffle the filter intake...my poor Marbles had trouble getting away from it...I also put a large plant where the water comes back in because that too created a pretty strong current.

Aquabow tanks seem to be pretty good too...I had the 1gal kit and you can buy 2.5 for like $35...again filter and light included.

Hope this helps! and welcome to the forum!

~H2
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

OH...also, bettas are healthier on a variety of foods...I recommend purchasing some freezedried bloodworms or brine shrimp and feed him two or three times a week with a couple to supplement his pellets. I feed my boy 2 pellets in the morning, 2 at night, the occasional one in between...and MWF i replace his evening meal with bloodworms. They love it and itll keep him healthy =D
Old 02-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #4 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTAb182 View Post
A couple months ago I was given a betta fish a pet (named him Seafood :]) and I'm really liking the company on my desk! Right now he lives in a 1 gallon (i think) bowl without a heater. The water is at about 69-70 degrees (mid day in my room). He isn't too active and mostly just chills. I want to get a better home for him and see if he perks up any, but I'm new to the fish world.

I've been reading up on bettas and it seems that a 2 or 2.5 gallon tank out fit my needs (bigger than the current one but still small enough for my desk) and a heater are the two things I really need. Any advice on either of these two items would be great (mostly the heater). And does a rounded bowl or a squared tank make a difference, or is it just personal preference?

For food I've been feeding him "Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits." Is there a certain brand of food that is recommended for bettas, or is the kind I have now just fine?

Thanks in advance for all your help! And let me know if you need more info!

shape is personal preference, 2-2.5 gal is ok nd defiantly a heater, you will find that seafood will perk up with warmer water being a tropical fish, your fishes water should sit 76-86F

things like frozen blood worms and brine shrimp are good to vary his diet.

but make sure you do water changes on the tank every 2nd day or so being so small and no filter :)

Welcome to the world of Betta's!
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #5 
Abby

i feed only at night until i instal my guys in the custom tank. then I will determine a feeding schedule, Dastan gets 4-5 depending on his mood neros currently on one-2 cause of some bloating after his brineshrimp, Melvin benny and Tamina are on two-three pellets.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #6 
VTAb182

I hadn't even thought of getting a filter! I was just thinking of a plain jane glass tank. My desk is currently set up with my lamp right next to the bowl, so a light isn't a light on the tank isn't a necessity for me. But a filter does sound like a good investment. It would mean not having to change the water as often, right? I'll look into the tanks you mentioned (HayrideHaunter). Thanks!

Last edited by VTAb182; 02-05-2011 at 04:20 PM.
VTAb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #7 
HayrideHaunter

yeah...feeding seems to depend a lot on the fish...watch him for bloating...some fish can only have a couple a day, some eat up to 7 or 8 without problems...seems like something thats a bit of cautious trial and error
Old 02-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #8 
HayrideHaunter

yeah the filter isnt completely necessary, but it keeps his tank nice and clean between the less-frequent changes. As i mentioned i live in a dorm...= im a college student with very little time...so i change his tank once a week and he seems fine with the help of a filter
Old 02-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #9 
peachesxo

Just find a heater that is adjustable and suitable for the size of tank you are getting and you should be fine, but definatly get one, the temperature it's at now is too cold which is why he is not being very active and it could lead to problems.

I keep my betta at 79/80 degrees
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #10 
Abby

Filters: i have a filter on my current main tank that will go onto my new tank ive not had to do a water change on it yet, dastan hasnt been in there a month yet
But hes due for one soon. but its a good aquaone filter and its 4.7 gall (18.2 liters)