Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...but to warn you...it can be addicting......lol......

You have already received great advice and I only wanted to add one thing about filters......regardless of filtration-water changes are needed-filters remove large particle from the water column but not from the tank and often what you can't see is often the most harmful......with filtration you can establish the nitrogen cycle and this can help reduce the amount of water changes but not the number of needed water changes in small volume tanks to maintain water quality and fin health.

Once the nitrogen cycle establishes the good bacteria that colonize in the filter media, top layer of the substrate and surface areas inside the tank- will help remove some byproducts produced by the fish...by making twice weekly 50% water changes...1-50% water only and 1-50% that include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip should maintain water quality

You also need to give the filter media a good swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a week and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain good water flow....you want the filter media to look dirty...this is good bacteria.....

On another note....you don't have to have a filter with this species of fish and sometimes in small aquariums the filter water flow can be too strong and sometimes cause tattered fins especially with the long heavy fin males and without a filter the water changes would need to be 1-50% and 1-100% a week to maintain water quality and fin health......

Again welcome and look forward to seeing some pic of your new wet-pet and setup.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #12 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...but to warn you...it can be addicting......lol......

You have already received great advice and I only wanted to add one thing about filters......regardless of filtration-water changes are needed-filters remove large particle from the water column but not from the tank and often what you can't see is often the most harmful......with filtration you can establish the nitrogen cycle and this can help reduce the amount of water changes but not the number of needed water changes in small volume tanks to maintain water quality and fin health.

Once the nitrogen cycle establishes the good bacteria that colonize in the filter media, top layer of the substrate and surface areas inside the tank- will help remove some byproducts produced by the fish...by making twice weekly 50% water changes...1-50% water only and 1-50% that include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip should maintain water quality

You also need to give the filter media a good swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a week and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain good water flow....you want the filter media to look dirty...this is good bacteria.....

On another note....you don't have to have a filter with this species of fish and sometimes in small aquariums the filter water flow can be too strong and sometimes cause tattered fins especially with the long heavy fin males and without a filter the water changes would need to be 1-50% and 1-100% a week to maintain water quality and fin health......

Again welcome and look forward to seeing some pic of your new wet-pet and setup.......
OFL, I have always wanted to ask, when you say "give the filter media a good swish/rinse in old tank water" do you mean the actual filter itself, or do you mean the tubes ect connecting to the filter? Or both?

Also, how often should I change my filter cartridge and how should I do it to avoid messing up my cycle. I have a bio-wheel, do good bacteria build up on the wheel as well?
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #13 
VTAb182

I just made a trip out to the pet store and picked up a thermometer and some freeze-dried bloodworms. They didn't have the right heater in stock so i ordered one online (adjustable 25W) for $15 shipped. They had an Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5gal tank there that has a filter and light for $30, but before picking it up I thought I'd ask you all if you think this is a good tank or not?

I was also talking to a friend today who has had a betta for almost 2 years and he's never had a heater for it! Someone mentioned that being in cold water for too long could cause damage... what kind of damage would this be?
VTAb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #14 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

If someone already mentioned this, sorry, I missed it...

Water conditioner is a must for EVERY water change. The short story: Water conditioners neutralize bad chemicals which may be in your tap water, to make it safe for your fish to live in.

Some water conditioners claim to have benefical bacteria to help cycle a tank. Other claim to be best for bettas, or provide stress-relief and help promote the fish's natural slime coat.
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #15 
HayrideHaunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTAb182 View Post
I just made a trip out to the pet store and picked up a thermometer and some freeze-dried bloodworms. They didn't have the right heater in stock so i ordered one online (adjustable 25W) for $15 shipped. They had an Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5gal tank there that has a filter and light for $30, but before picking it up I thought I'd ask you all if you think this is a good tank or not?

I was also talking to a friend today who has had a betta for almost 2 years and he's never had a heater for it! Someone mentioned that being in cold water for too long could cause damage... what kind of damage would this be?
haha Aqueon Mini bow was the tank I was referring to...I said "aquabow"...that was my bad

I had the 1gal version...it was obviously too small, but while i had Marbles in it he was a happy fish...the tank is a good one, pretty quiet IME and looks nice...i recommend it =D
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #16 
VTAb182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
If someone already mentioned this, sorry, I missed it...

Water conditioner is a must for EVERY water change. The short story: Water conditioners neutralize bad chemicals which may be in your tap water, to make it safe for your fish to live in.

Some water conditioners claim to have benefical bacteria to help cycle a tank. Other claim to be best for bettas, or provide stress-relief and help promote the fish's natural slime coat.
I forgot to say earlier that I do have water conditioner. I got it when I got Seafood and use it every water change. It's a betta specific kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayrideHaunter View Post
haha Aqueon Mini bow was the tank I was referring to...I said "aquabow"...that was my bad

I had the 1gal version...it was obviously too small, but while i had Marbles in it he was a happy fish...the tank is a good one, pretty quiet IME and looks nice...i recommend it =D
I thought that might have been the case because a google search of aquabow didn't come up with any results :]
Old 02-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #17 
HayrideHaunter

yeeeeap...haha sorry bout that =D
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #18 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

VTAb182,

"I was also talking to a friend today who has had a betta for almost 2 years and he's never had a heater for it! Someone mentioned that being in cold water for too long could cause damage... what kind of damage would this be? "

DEATH.

Here's the dealio on bettas:

Bettas come from warm tropical waters. If you could keep your room temperature at an even 76F year round, you wouldn't need a heater. The surrounding air would heat the bowl to the temperature the betta needs.

Most people can't manage a constant room temperture, however. My room temperture, for example, is at 60F. While 60F is fine for cold water fish (like goldfish), it is 16F too cool for a betta.

Small fish bowls are particularly sensitive to air temperature changes, and bettas are particularly sensitive to water temperture changes. They can go into temperture shock, which weakens their immune system. A fish can turn desperately ill overnight in these conditions.

If the cold bowl conditions are not too severe and are constant, a betta's metabolism will slow down in cold water. He may survive awhile, but he'll be inactive and his colors will dull. He will not be the active (and re-active) beautiful and healthy fish he could be.

Also, a betta breathes air differently than a goldfish. Bettas breath more like us. They need to be able to come to the water's surface to breath, and the air must be warm and moist, or their breathing apperatus (the labyrinth organ) will be damaged. A heated, covered bowl (or small tank) is the kindest thing you can do for a betta. :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #19 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
OFL, I have always wanted to ask, when you say "give the filter media a good swish/rinse in old tank water" do you mean the actual filter itself, or do you mean the tubes ect connecting to the filter? Or both?

Your filter should have some kind of cartridge in it; that is what you swish around in the water.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #20 
VTAb182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
DEATH.

Here's the dealio on bettas:

Bettas come from warm tropical waters. If you could keep your room temperature at an even 76F year round, you wouldn't need a heater. The surrounding air would heat the bowl to the temperature the betta needs.

Most people can't manage a constant room temperture, however. My room temperture, for example, is at 60F. While 60F is fine for cold water fish (like goldfish), it is 16F too cool for a betta.

Small fish bowls are particularly sensitive to air temperature changes, and bettas are particularly sensitive to water temperture changes. They can go into temperture shock, which weakens their immune system. A fish can turn desperately ill overnight in these conditions.

If the cold bowl conditions are not too severe and are constant, a betta's metabolism will slow down in cold water. He may survive awhile, but he'll be inactive and his colors will dull. He will not be the active (and re-active) beautiful and healthy fish he could be.

Also, a betta breathes air differently than a goldfish. Bettas breath more like us. They need to be able to come to the water's surface to breath, and the air must be warm and moist, or their breathing apperatus (the labyrinth organ) will be damaged. A heated, covered bowl (or small tank) is the kindest thing you can do for a betta. :)
Oh wow that's good to know. I'll pass it on to him. If he gets a heater and all now would his betta be able to recover to a fun, active state or is the damage irreversible?